What's new
What's new

Fitting pulley to countershaft

KBenoit1

Aluminum
Hi guys, I acquired a 2 step aluminum countershaft pulley for my 9". I'm currently restoring the entire countershaft assembly, luckily the shaft and bearing surfaces are in real good shape. The bore on the pulley is 0.750" ID and the shaft is 0.875"OD.

Should I bore out the pulley ID to catch the shaft? If so how would I hold the pulley?

Or should I turn the shaft down to match the pulley?

What should the fit between the shaft and pulley be? Light press fit?

I don't have enough swing to bore the pulley and the OD of the shaft is to large to put in the spindle.

For reference, the old shaft that came with the pulley was stepped down. The shaft is trashed.

Should I bore out the pulley ID to catch the shaft? If so how would I hold the pulley?

Leave the pulley as is. Turn down the shaft to match the STANDARD size pulley bore.

What should the fit between the shaft and pulley be? Light press fit?

The pulley has to transmit the power from the motor, so it will have to be either keyed, or pinned. Therefore, the fit should be sliding. Don't depend on a pressed fit to transmit power unless you have the equipment for a forced fit. Even these should be constrained with a pin or key.

I don't have enough swing to bore the pulley and the OD of the shaft is to large to put in the spindle.

Then you have a problem. You could START with a 0.750" shaft, then press on a 0.875" OD by 0.750" ID bushing to mount your main pulley on (it has to be pinned or keyed also).

For reference, the old shaft that came with the pulley was stepped down. The shaft is trashed.

If so, then you aren't constrained by previous work. Do what is needed with what you have.

Back