What's new
What's new

Follow rest bolts

Jbonez

Aluminum
Can anyone tell me what size bolts are used for mounting follow rest to crossslide?

Clean bolt should go in by hand and feel like a good fit perhaps 5 turns. Yes you may have to hook pick the threads to make clean.

Just don't want to cross thread or mess up with not being sure. Also you can hand feel the tap drill for the thread you think it may be.

For holding the steady you want about 5 to 11 full turns with being sure you don't bottom out.

5/16-18 thread a 1/4 drill should feel like a fair fit.

iwananew10k is correct, i bought a couple of bolts for mounting my follower rest on my 9A a few months back. Had to scrape out alot of dirt and paint from the holes though as i dont think the rest had ever been used from new.

The 10L follow rest needs a shoulder bolt to hold it properly. The holes in the rest itself are 3/8", holes in the carriage are 5/16-18. Quick measurement on mine says the shoulder is 1 1/4" long. Got them from McMaster-Carr, not sure the part number but it was easy enough to find.

I had to run a tap into the cross slide to get the paint and garbage out of the threads, and a drill bit spun by hand through the follow rest to clear it out.

Thank you for your responses.I think it is just dirty threads.the screw felt tight so I didn't force it.

I have a 9A and a related question. Is there a grade recommendation for the bolts? I assume grade 2 should be sufficient so the bolts could break before the casting.

Wayne

Once you get the tapped holes cleaned out,make up some short screws to cap them off when not in use. Otherwise they will be messed up the next time you go to use the rest. Kerosene in a pump oiler will flush them out.
Also there are heavy washers supplied by the factory,about 1/8" thick. You will probably have to make those. There are four of them,two on each bolt. The bolts are 2" with 7/8" of thread,hex head,no markings. My follower rest was new in the box from Plaza machinery the bolts and washers were still in the envelope,5/16-18 thread.

Last edited:

Back