What's new
What's new

Forum rules............

Gunnar R

Plastic
Hello,
Am I allowed to ask what a lathe might be worth on the forum? I have a brand new 1984 10K lathe with many attachments and I have no idea its value. I have tried contact (private message) the moderator twice this week but his mailbox is full - so I apologize if this is an inappropriate question.

Thanks
Gunnar

If it is brand spanking new as in never been used, not even once, the collector value would be out of sight. A list of options and accessories would be nice.

Can I post some fotos and ask what is the value? Or do I have to go to the selling portion of Practical Machinist? It would seem only people interested in SB lathes would care about such an item. by the way - brand spanking new - not even turned on - caked grease on the headstock gears from the factory.

You should post pictures but I'd take the values that people toss out with a grain of salt. It is likely worth a lot more to someone that most here would admit.

I’m not a buyer, but I would be curious as to it’s story.
It would probably go for big money on flea bay with good pictures. People seem to lose their minds over these.
That said I had a 13” CLK for 25 years and did a lot of work on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think you are fine posting pics and asking questions about a south bend lathe in the south bend forum. I also second hearing the story/ history of your lathe.
If you are still worried, then delay asking its value until you have had some back and forth dialog going for a while, meaning you posting info about you, it and its story. Then you doing a good job answering questions so people get a feel for you.
By then the value will probably come out in the thread anyway without you even having to ask for it.

You have already brought the questions out there and got answers now its time for pictures and discussion about the lathe. Please

Although you should read the sticky about choosing a title for your thread.

In the last couple days I have tried twice to post a new thread with photos and more detailed description - I previewed the post - look all correct with photos. I submit and it goes off for the moderator to review. My guess is it is being rejected for some reason? I attach about 15 photos - does that lead to being rejected?

I just looked at your link. That was my friend posting about the same lathe - he was just helping me out back then. Now I have the time to deal with this Lathe - it has been sitting in my shop for a while and I need to get into good hands before something happens to it.

In the last couple days I have tried twice to post a new thread with photos and more detailed description - I previewed the post - look all correct with photos. I submit and it goes off for the moderator to review. My guess is it is being rejected for some reason? I attach about 15 photos - does that lead to being rejected?

Post them in this thread, it should work.

Good Luck,
Matt

Nobody on here or anywhere can tell you what it is worth. It is sort-of a one of a kind thing. Such things are only worth what you can find someone to pay. Your best bet is to splash some photos around. Here is a good place to start. Everybody wants to see a new old south bend so nothing to loose there. Along the way you will get some offers and eventually one will be high enough that you will take it- maybe?

I suggest you post some photos to show it off and see if you get an offer.

I just submitted a new thread with photos (this one is asking about Forum rules). I only included 5 fotos since that might be a reason my previous attempts were rejected.

A gorgeous lathe indeed.

Try posting directly, just like your text posts. When it's time to select photos, select the "insert image" icon at the top of this pane. (Works in either "quick reply" or "advanced" mode.) Follow the instructions- uploading pix one at a time from my computer (browse) works better for me than linking to an album/url . No more than 5 photos per post allowed and there is a size limit on the pix, can't remember what it is, but if they're rejected, keep reducing the size until they're accepted. Keep trying...:D

And yes, once you decide what to ask for it, ads for SB machines are allowed in the SB forum, though you might have a wider audience in the machines for sale forum.

gpejqhu.jpg

I have a brand new, never used South Bend 10K UMD lathe (catalog number CL 370RDA) purchased in 11/1984 – I am wondering if anyone has any idea what all of this is worth. I got it from a friend of my parents. The owner had to convince me to take it off his hands – he was in his 80s and was trying to downsize his belongings. When we came to pick it up, the wife was 'thank God, get that thing out of here !' She even yelled at us for parking in her driveway. The reason I don't want the lathe is because I have a beautiful South Bend 10L Catalog # 187N Serial number 178098. If I did not have a wife, it would be in my living room. (along with my ACME 7” metal shaper)

It comes with the following items purchased at the same time – all listed on a receipt – which I have. As far as I can tell none of these have been used.
1. CL 2680NK MILLING ATTACHMENT
2. CL 758NK PLAIN CARRIAGE STOP
3. CE 1625 TEFLON LUBE
4. CL 1957NK METRIC TRANSPOSING GEARS
5. CL 810NK THREAD DIAL INDICATOR
6. CL 2250NK THREAD CUTTING STOP
7. CL 1483NK MULTITAP FACE PLATE
8. CL 968NK MICROMETER CARRIAGE STOP
9. CE 469NK BORING BAR AND TOOL HOLDER
10. CE 2930NK 10 IN 1 TOOL KIT
11. CE 2107 LATHE DOGS (3/8” 1/2” 3/4” 1” 1.25” 1.5”)
12. CE 2450NK TOOL POST ASSEMBLY

The following items appear brand new, never used but are not on the receipt dated 11/02/1984
1. CE 1731 CABINET STYLE BENCH
2. CE 2175NK SMALL FACE PLATE
3. CE 2401 60 DEGREE CENTER (TWO)
4. CE 2450NK TOOL POST ASSEMBLY (there are 2, but only one is listed on the receipt)
5. CL 3705NK 5” 3-JAW UNIVERSAL CHUCK WITH 3 EXTRA JAWS
6. CE2527 MORSE TAPER REDUCING SLEEVE #3 TO #2
7. CE2302 TAPER ARBOR FOR CE 1201
8. CE 1201 0 – 1/2” DRILL CHUCK (6T 33)
9. CL 4906NK 6” 4-JAW CHUCK (POWER COMPANION TOOLS 1111706 MADE IN USA)
10. CE 876 CUTTING-OFF BLADE
11. 3AT COLLETS MADE IN GERMANY (3/16” 1/4” 5/16” 3/8” 7/16” 1/2”)

The following item might be used but not sure:
1. HANDWHEEL COLLET ATTACHMENT WITH COLLET CLOSER AND WORKS WITH 3AT COLLETS
2. 3 TURNING TOOL HOLDERS (STRAIGHT, RIGHT HAND, AND LEFTHAND) LISTED AS CE 846S CE 846R CE 846L

The photo showing all the items has 2 missing: CE 2401 60 DEGREE CENTER (TWO) and CE 1201 0 – 1/2” DRILL CHUCK (6T 33)

hUr8U7H.jpg

2K7LxPk.jpg

PbbceKl.jpg

Back