What's new
What's new

Frame dimensions for old 118C Motor?

tobnpr

Hot Rolled
Replacing my Kingston-Conley S.B. motor, nameplate lists it as a "118C" frame size.
Google turns up nothing...

I need to weld up new studs for the different size frame for the new 3Ph/VFD motor and want to be able to use the existing studs for offset dimensions but need to know the stud spacing (I don't want to removed the motor to take measurements if it's not necessary) so I can get it all laid out on paper first.

Anyone heard of a 118C motor frame?

The frame size is usually on the motor tag.
I guess that's the 118c your referring to.

If you have the equipment available to lift the lathe and lay it on its back, working on the underdrive assembly will be much easier.

If not, an automotive scissor lift jack helps working through the small access panels in the leg.

Yes, it's horizontal drive.
Again- I'm wondering if there's a dimensioned print anywhere for the mounting bolt dimensions. I can't measure them accurately with the motor in place and I'd rather not dismount it to take measurements.

No big deal if I need to, but I'd rather save the time and work from a print if there is one. Might be so old there's nothing on it available online.

Well, after rummaging around at various motor sites, I have to agree that there does not seem to be any listing for a "118C" or even "118" frame size. There are some frame sizes in the IEC or metric motor frames in that numeric range though so I might propose that it's possibly a very old and obsolete metric motor. You're probably going to be time and money and frustration ahead if you just replace it with something modern.

Replacing my Kingston-Conley S.B. motor, nameplate lists it as a "118C" frame size.
Google turns up nothing...

I need to weld up new studs for the different size frame for the new 3Ph/VFD motor and want to be able to use the existing studs for offset dimensions but need to know the stud spacing (I don't want to removed the motor to take measurements if it's not necessary) so I can get it all laid out on paper first.

Anyone heard of a 118C motor frame?

Late to this party but maybe it will help someone in the future...

Here's a 1942 Walker-Turner Machinery Catalog posted on the Vintage Machinery website. I think Walker-Turner's motors were made by Kingston-Conley but not sure about that...

On Page 54 are specifications for the motors Walker-Turner was using in 1942. The KAE5, KAB5-S & KAB5 motors are all listed as being Frame 118 motors. I know that isn't a 118C Frame but perhaps this is helpful.

Best regards,

Scott

Back