What's new
What's new

motor requirements for lathe

Korey

Plastic
I have an older South Bend Lathe, 8113-B, 638TKR8. Motor burned up, has no tag on it. Looking for recommendations as to what RPM and HP to replace with. Contacted South Bend, they sent me a link to this site. Thanks in advance.

I put a 1750 rpm on mine. So far the responses I have had from other sources said that was the correct speed. I put a 230 volt reversible
motor on it for convenience as it had when I got it in 2004. I had been using the lathe since the early 1980's as I worked for Boeing Ltd

Post a few pictures of your motor. It will clear up a bunch of questions that need answers. You have many options and a 3 phase with a VFD is a good choice. I have one from an early SB 9 you can have for shipping if you choose to go that route. A 1/2 HP 3 phase motor . No VFD. Can be found rather inexpensively.

Take your burned up motor to a local electric motor shop, they can tell you what it is, or look up your lathe in a old SBL catalog and see what motor it had when it left South Bend {internet search}

The semi-original motor in my 1946 8113-C is a 1 horsepower, 1725 RPM Century. Single phase, reversible, 1.25 service factor. Monstrous compared to the motors of today. The original Aerovox wax-paper start capacitor in it is still perfectly good too! Hehe...

IMG_20200811_185754589.jpg

1 horse vs 1 horse. This is back from the time when capacitor-start motors were still somewhat new technology and repulsion-start motors still held a significant market share! :D

Do you need a frame size or any measurements?

Back