What's new
What's new

FS South Bend 21” Swing x 12’ Bed Lathe $850

nt1953

Hot Rolled
I have a 21” swing South Bend lathe with a 12’ bed that I need to sell.

The lathe (SN 24534), appears to be in good condition and was originally shipped on 9/27/20. I have measured the backlash on the compound and cross slide and both of them are less than .010”. I have cleaned a section of the front way near the headstock and as you can see from the two pictures, the ways look pretty good and there does not appear to be a dreaded South Bend Ridge on the ways.

Additional pictures show the main spindle bearing cap and the spindle. While there is some scoring, it is not bad at all.

Only a few change gears are available with the lathe and they can be seen in the pictures.

Here are some of the accessories that come with the lathe:
• One 12” three jaw chuck with soft jaws,
• One 16” four jaw chuck
• One 11” chuck backplate
• One 18” faceplate
• One steady rest
• One follower rest
• A threading dial
• A rebuilt 5Hp 3 phase motor

I can load onto a flat bed trailer. The available literature shows the weight of the lathe to be about 4200lbs.
IMG_20181114_133032.jpgIMG_20181114_133124.jpgIMG_20181113_164510.jpg

The location of the lathe will determine whether or not its pheasable for buyers. Transport a beast like that can easily double purchase price.

I live just outside of Huntsville, Alabama.

The lathe can be hauled on a standard 6' x 16' double axle car hauler or flat bed trailer with standard 3500lb rated axles. I hauled it from Jackson, Mississippi.

In my area, that would be one heck of a deal for a lathe that size with those accessories.
Maybe just the size is scaring most people off. There's not a lot of hobbyists that have that much space to dedicate to a machine.

Back