What's new
What's new

FS south bend milling attachment

scottmi

Aluminum
I have a milling attachment for a south bend lathe probably a 16". 300.00 plus actual shipping or local pickup near port huron mi.

I'm interested in this if it is for a South Bend 16" and if you can make it fit in a flat rate USPS shipping box. Is the crank handle removable?
I see from my catalog that the one I need is CL2680H but I don't think they stamp the cat number on there. Is the one you have here 65lbs?

Does anyone know what the radial thru groove on the mounting base would do? I see it in the catalog picture that covers 9-24" lathes but not sure it applies to the 16. This is what makes me think it may not be for a 16" South Bend as I have no threaded hole on my saddle to use that clocking feature.

The handle comes off. It weighs 65 pounds. Not sure if putting the whole thing in one flat rate box. I could break it down to three main pieces and ship it that way.

I'm not sure about the slot. I can't see where it would have a use on my 1941 lathe.
slot.jpg

I'm not sure about the slot. I can't see where it would have a use on my 1941 lathe.
View attachment 330507

You probably want to get a measurement of the circle dovetail on the bottom. And lift your compound rest up off rest base to take a measure too to ensure its the same.

If the same, the two wedges that lock rest using allen wrenches should basically hold position. But the slot is most likely for a bolt that you would drill and tap into rest base. Probably two holes to allow turning this attachment 90 degrees. It would provide greater rigidity.

On the last 16" I did, I couldn't figure out why someone had two tapped holes in the rest base. Looking back, maybe for this, or something like it. Check out the rest base in one of the pics in post #35:
Getting Another South Bend 16x6 Operational

You probably want to get a measurement of the circle dovetail on the bottom. And lift your compound rest up off rest base to take a measure too to ensure its the same.

If the same, the two wedges that lock rest using allen wrenches should basically hold position. But the slot is most likely for a bolt that you would drill and tap into rest base. Probably two holes to allow turning this attachment 90 degrees. It would provide greater rigidity.

On the last 16" I did, I couldn't figure out why someone had two tapped holes in the rest base. Looking back, maybe for this, or something like it. Check out the rest base in one of the pics in post #35:
Getting Another South Bend 16x6 Operational

Ahh, I see, thanks! I am not sure I would want to drill and tap my saddle, but would probably make for better operation. I will need to think a bit on this. I haven't been using the lathe much so not sure I "need" this although the capability would be nice. I saw this one that is listed as for a south bend 16 & 14 1/2. Different base is visible in chopped off pic.

South-bend-16-14-1-2-lathe-milling-mill-attachment-picture.jpg

If you didn't want to drill yours, you can find an extra fairly regular. Though slipping it in and out with a taper attachment. . . not quite as simple as with an engine lathe. Or keep an un-drilled one for future selling prospects. . . :
South Bend 16" Lathe Compound Rest Base Cross Slide Casting | eBay

A bit off topic, I caught a thread well after the fact you were looking at and bid fairly high on a Bridgeport Series 1 I believe. A lower cost option you might consider for your unique shipping situation, A Bridgeport J head. Can be had much less than a series 1. A damn near perfect match to a SB lathe imo. Simple, easy, and cheap and easy to get parts. Spindle is step pulley belt driven, like a drill press. Could probably be paid and shipped to you for half what you bid on that Series 1. Just a thought anyway. I have a J head, if you want some thoughts on it let me know.

If you didn't want to drill yours, you can find an extra fairly regular. Though slipping it in and out with a taper attachment. . . not quite as simple as with an engine lathe. Or keep an un-drilled one for future selling prospects. . . :
South Bend 16" Lathe Compound Rest Base Cross Slide Casting | eBay

A bit off topic, I caught a thread well after the fact you were looking at and bid fairly high on a Bridgeport Series 1 I believe. A lower cost option you might consider for your unique shipping situation, A Bridgeport J head. Can be had much less than a series 1. A damn near perfect match to a SB lathe imo. Simple, easy, and cheap and easy to get parts. Spindle is step pulley belt driven, like a drill press. Could probably be paid and shipped to you for half what you bid on that Series 1. Just a thought anyway. I have a J head, if you want some thoughts on it let me know.

Thanks for the great ideas, as always, but I sort of sidelines getting a mill for a while. It's really cost prohibitive to bring one here so one needs to be found...and then taken decent care of. I "may" not always live here, once the kids are gone, so the time to get some good machines may be in my future we'll see. In the frenzy of trying to decide what to do about this one I bit on an alternative. When I get it I'll make a post about it to not derail this thread any further, if that's possible! lol

I like the price of this unit though and it looks the business I'm just kinda particular too and that slot would bother me knowing it has an intended purpose that I wasn't using!

Back