What's new
What's new

Furnas RSB 5 Drum Controller for GE Motor 5KC43

mcload

Hot Rolled
I have an old original Furnas RSB5 (circa 1958) drum switch for the GE 5KC43xxx single phase
motor that came on the lathe. After restoring the motor, I connected the Furnas controller
and the motor works fine in both directions. However, I knew a couple of the rear connection points
on the rotating body of the drum switch (not the spring pads) were paper thin, and that for all practical purposes, I would probably need to find a new drum switch for longevity reasons.

I have been through two new switches now, and neither have the correct connection points for
this 5-wire GE motor. I'm not at all surprised that nothing seems to be available except possibly the high-price used original Furnas controllers at auction. (No market for vintage switches).

So I just thought I send out an SOS to see if anyone has successfully found a "new" style controller for their old GE motor, and if so, the name and model number so I can order one.
(I've read thru several articles on PM on repairing these switches, and it all kinda sounds "iffy".)

I suspect I'll just have to use it until it quits at which point I'll have to replace the motor (or some new owner).

Thanks in advance; just floating a balloon.

PMc

View attachment 316162 View attachment 316163 View attachment 316164 View attachment 316165 View attachment 316166

Not sure if you ever figured a solution here. But what I'm seeing is a regular 3 phase drum switch, which can also be used for single phase. So any 3 phase drum switch should be able to work for you.

However, I love the original box. I'd be real inclined to find a better condition drum switch and swap the guts.

Some drum switches have 3 rows of 3 connections points. 1 row for power in. Two rows for power out. On power out, you would put the wires in lets say A,B,C for forward. And B,A,C order for reverse.

Your particular style uses only two rows of connections, power in and power out. But the reality is it does the same thing as a 3 row switch. Thats because the inner wheel contacts are staggered. So you still have FWD, OFF, REV positions.

With either type switch, its just a matter of putting your multi meter to ohms and checking resistance between each leg of power in to each leg of power out to see what is what, as you switch the switch through fwd, off, rev.

On a 3 row connection type, you directly connect motor to FWD. And for REV you run short jumper wires to the FWD connection points, with the caveat that you are swapping/ or cris-crossing A and B of the ABC order.

Anywho, if you post pics of all the switches I'm sure we can sort it out. On ebay, if you search drum switch, or 3 phase drum switch. . .going through pics there might find the same guts of your original switch.

Mac, it's been awhile since I did it, but a field expedient solution is to sweat some new contact points onto the original arms. It was so long ago that I think I fabbed my points out of a silver dime, although the points from another switch could be removed and resoldered. Jim

A worthy pursuit to fix and use that switch. I went through the same exercise as you to use mine. I ended up buying a few off of eBay to try and use the parts. Eventually I found a good one that was an exact copy and swapped the guts to be able to use the Art Deco style it came with. Your switch is way cooler than mine so worth the effort. There cant be much to the parts...right? Can you fabricate replacements?

Is this the same internals?
FURNAS J5 REVERSING DRUM SWITCH, ATLAS SOUTH BEND LOGAN LATHE | eBay

Back