What's new
What's new

GE motor wiring puzzle

Rosenfelder

Aluminum
I posted this on the Antique and History forum, but have not got an answer yet.

I have a WWII vintage South Bend 9" lathe. In order to transport it, I removed the motor by 'unwiring' it. I recorded how it was wired, but lost my notes. The lathe ran fine before I disassembled it. It was wired for 110 volts (no ground).
Four wires come out of the F/off/R switch. Green and yellow alternate between hot and neutral depending on the position of the switch. Black is always hot, and red is always neutral. There is no ground.
At the motor there is a terminal board with five studs. The terminal studs are numbered 5,1,2,3,4. The red wire from the switch was wire nutted to a red (neutral) wire that goes in at the top of the terminal board. So I have three wires to figure out. Green and yellow (which do the F/R and the black (always hot).
So which terminals do the three wires connect to? Is there a way to tell which terminal goes to what? What terminals are the start windings and what are the run windings? Which terminals don't get used or may be for 220 VAC (which I won't be using).
The motor is a General Electric 5KC63AB
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, J.R.

Attachments

• 20211230_134131.jpg
    20211230_134131.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20211230_134159.jpg
    20211230_134159.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 40
I have a 9" that's late 40's with a GE motor also.
I can look later today and maybe take a picture or 2.
Where in Southern NH are you? I'm probably not too far from you (in MA, but only about a mile from the NH boarder).
You're welcome to come take a look if you think that would help.
CWC(4)

I have a 9" that's late 40's with a GE motor also.
I can look later today and maybe take a picture or 2.
Where in Southern NH are you? I'm probably not too far from you (in MA, but only about a mile from the NH boarder).
You're welcome to come take a look if you think that would help.
CWC(4)

CWC(4) Thanks. I live in New Ipswich, just over the state line from Fitchburg. J.R.

I removed the motor by 'unwiring' it. I recorded how it was wired, but lost my notes.

That terminal pattern looks a lot like the old Delta motors, did it have a couple of those terminal jumper links?
(First pic)

The links are used to switch the Delta motors from 120V to 220V. Pic of a Delta motor plate.
(Second pic)

Chances are the upper right terminal is not used, usually that terminal is used if it's wired for an external temp sensor.

The last two pics are from an old Eicor brand motor that was used on many old Delta machines.

Doug

Attachments

• Terminal Link.jpg
    Terminal Link.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 220 Volt Jumpers.jpg
    220 Volt Jumpers.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 120 Volt Jumpers.jpg
    120 Volt Jumpers.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 11397-C.jpg
    11397-C.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 20
It appears as though my motor is different than yours, by looking at the I. D. plate(s).
Since I bought this lathe, I assumed it had the original motor, but I could be wrong.
Here's a couple pictures of the wires behind the capacitor and inside the little junction box that sits on the top of the body of the motor. I included a picture of the switch as well.
As I mentioned before, if you think you could gain anything by coming by and looking at it, you're welcome to.
IMG_1057.jpg
IMG_1056.jpg
IMG_1051.jpg
IMG_1052.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same motor and worked through the wiring. Check out this post.

Switch/motor wiring

I posted this on the Antique and History forum, but have not got an answer yet.

I have a WWII vintage South Bend 9" lathe. In order to transport it, I removed the motor by 'unwiring' it. I recorded how it was wired, but lost my notes. The lathe ran fine before I disassembled it. It was wired for 110 volts (no ground).
Four wires come out of the F/off/R switch. Green and yellow alternate between hot and neutral depending on the position of the switch. Black is always hot, and red is always neutral. There is no ground.
At the motor there is a terminal board with five studs. The terminal studs are numbered 5,1,2,3,4. The red wire from the switch was wire nutted to a red (neutral) wire that goes in at the top of the terminal board. So I have three wires to figure out. Green and yellow (which do the F/R and the black (always hot).
So which terminals do the three wires connect to? Is there a way to tell which terminal goes to what? What terminals are the start windings and what are the run windings? Which terminals don't get used or may be for 220 VAC (which I won't be using).
The motor is a General Electric 5KC63AB
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, J.R.

Back