What's new
What's new

Gear Box Bearings

Menessis

Aluminum
I hate to admit it but I took this thing apart so long ago I'm not sure what bearing goes on the lead screw? I have the one that is inside the gear box. Its the "flat" thrust bearing that I'm missing? Thinking back I believe it wasn't any good and I have no idea where it is now. I was looking at what I believe to be the correct parts diagram and it doesn't even show one there.

SpeedChart.jpg
So it's a heavy 10 with the above model number.

Any help?

Thanks
Menessis

I think the thrust bearing outside the gearbox is a D-5. I got mine from INA, it is made in India, and seems well made. Make sure you install it such that the outer shell is not turning, or it will throw oil out of the hole in the side.

allan

Ya I have a number for the inside ones. Its the one that goes on the lead screw I'm trying to confirm. Im assuming that there is one between that collar on the lead screw and the gear box???

This is the thrust bearing from the inside of the gearbox in the

pic.Thrust.jpg

Still looking for a parts manual!

Thanks
Menessis

I believe 6203 is the inner and 7203 is the outer.
The outer PT661R1 is listed with the lead screw in 947C

www.wswells.com/download/947C.pdf

NSK 6203ZZCM AV2S Single Row Deep Groove Ball Bearing Double Shield Type

Dimensions(metric)
ID 17
OD 40
Width 12
Closures: Two Metal Shields

Load Ratings(n)
Dynamic 9550
Static 4800

Limiting Speeds(rpm)
Oil 20,000
Grease 17,000
Approx.
Wgt. lbs .150

Interchange
FAF 203KDD
********* 6203.2Z
FED 1203FF
MRC 203-SFF

Angular Contact Ball Bearings
7200 Series
Dimensions Common Manufacturer Interchanges

Part No.d D B Wt. FAF ********* MRC ND SKF/SKF(Eur.)/STEYR

7203BG 17 40 12 .16 7203W-SU 7203BU(A/O) 7203DU U-30203 7203BEG(Y/P)

I could be wrong,
If ND 20203 is the inside, then the outer OEM bearing could have been an ND 3203

Steve

OK- there are three bearings here, that might be part of the confusion? Two of them go on the leadscrew, and one goes in the divider in the center of the box.

The angular contact bearing (7203 aka 20203) goes on leadscrew, inside gearbox, since that's the primary thrust direction for the leadscrew in use. The D-5 thrust bearing goes on the leadscrew outside the gearbox, and is basically there to enable the angular contact bearing to be preloaded. The regular deep groove ball bearing (6203 aka 3202) goes in the divider inside the box, and supports an intermediate shaft.

Hopefully that clears it up.

allan

Can't see your link...but I think Allan is right..in any case that one is not really critical, it doesn't have to fit in a bore or anything,any thrust bearing that will slip over and is the right thickness or can be made to the right thickness should be fine.

What's the best way to clean the roller bearings in the tumblers?
I don't think I can do it without pressing them out.

Menessis

I soaked mine in mineral spirits for a while then flushed them out with brakleen. I did not take the tumblers apart since they spun smoothly.

Just soaked the roller bearings and noticed this.

Gear.jpg

There is a sharp bur turned up on that edge??? What do ya make of that?

The bearing wasn't centered either. I think it was rubbing on the one end. I moved it over before I took the pic.

P.S. all my other bearings cam in today :)

Menessis

Yes I'm STILL working on this thing.

Which way does that inner thrust bearing need to face? Can't find any reference to that at all.

Menessis

Back