What's new
What's new

Gear cover hinge slop

vicfi

Plastic
Hello,
I'm finally getting my south bend 9A back together after replacing some of the wicks (the only places I couldn't get to were part of the gearbox and apron). It's pretty much back together except for the gear cover. The hinge has a lot of play so it doesn't seem to sit right. It looks like it needs a new pin. I'll add in some photos. Any suggestions? 2021-04-21 16.26 (1).jpg2021-04-21 16.26.jpg

The pin is fine.

The babbit or lead needs to be heated up while the pin is fixed in the bracket (the relief on the pin is for the screw) and the gear cover held slightly above where it should fit.

You may be able to get away without using molding clay or something to contain the babbit from draining out. Heat it up from the top so it melts from the top down, and it probably wont drain out.

The pin is fine.

The babbit or lead needs to be heated up while the pin is fixed in the bracket (the relief on the pin is for the screw) and the gear cover held slightly above where it should fit.

You may be able to get away without using molding clay or something to contain the babbit from draining out. Heat it up from the top so it melts from the top down, and it probably wont drain out.

The other issue I had was the pin seating completely into the hinge. (The screw was not in the way). It might need some cleaning. I'll try heating it up some.

The other issue I had was the pin seating completely into the hinge. (The screw was not in the way). It might need some cleaning. I'll try heating it up some.

This topic has been covered in a previous thread:

But failing that, I would suggest that re-leading the pin in the babbit will be a big pain in the rear. And ultimately, it will fail again after use.
Why not make it easy on yourself by adding a locating pin as pictured below, assuming that it won't interfere with a large gear.
You can also grind a notch in the pin so that it stays put. Gear cover will register perfectly every time.

Just saying.

PMc

View attachment 319592 View attachment 319593

Hog out the lead a bit. Get the cover fitted nicely to the machine then fill the gap with epoxy. Quick, easy and cheap.

Hello,
I'm finally getting my south bend 9A back together after replacing some of the wicks (the only places I couldn't get to were part of the gearbox and apron).

Those are very important places for your wicks to be working correctly. Can we help you in any way get them replaced?

Those are very important places for your wicks to be working correctly. Can we help you in any way get them replaced?

Stuck taper pins got the best of me. Nothing could get them to budge. I'd do more damage trying to remove them. I settled on getting what I could get to replaced. I'd like to use the machine at least once as I've never used it since I got it back in November. I want to repaint in either later this summer or in the fall so when the time comes, I'll try again.

This topic has been covered in a previous thread:

But failing that, I would suggest that re-leading the pin in the babbit will be a big pain in the rear. And ultimately, it will fail again after use.
Why not make it easy on yourself by adding a locating pin as pictured below, assuming that it won't interfere with a large gear.
You can also grind a notch in the pin so that it stays put. Gear cover will register perfectly every time.

Just saying.

PMc

View attachment 319592 View attachment 319593

I did some searching on google regarding the issue and nothing came up. I guess I was using the wrong search terms.

Hog out the lead a bit. Get the cover fitted nicely to the machine then fill the gap with epoxy. Quick, easy and cheap.

That is what I did with my SB9 as well. I used JB Weld, but any decent epoxy should be fine. Alignment of the cover has been perfect since this repair.

^ Sometimes I wonder why we compulse over simple things. In this case it certainly ain't rocket science.

Back