What's new
What's new

Georgeous 13" for sale on flea-bay

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
Maybe it's my naivete, but this thing is gorgeous. Way over my budget, but damn, if it doesn't have just about everything.

Whoa! Is this one of our guys handy work? Makes me want to up my game especially on tooling storage!

Score one for Team New Paint!

Op forgot the link :D

South Bend 13" Lathe 5 Ft. Hardened Bed L00 Spindle Bed Turret Tooling Perfect | eBay

Pricey for sure. If as perfect as seller claims, and comes with all the accessories. . . yea, could worth it. Pics can be deceiving, but ways do look about as perfect as you might find. Pretty strong commitment at that price, and a more narrow window on buyers. In the midst of the rust belt. . . be curious how the seller does.

The trouble with owning a lathe that pretty is that it will never actually get used.

One scratch and you'll be kicking yourself for days.

Side note - is that oil pan under the gearbox an aftermarket/home-brew addition? Never seen anything like that before.

Its up in the Monarch 10ee price range. . .

My first thought as well, that'd be my 10EE price range. But not a pristine 10ee, and most likely no extras, or modest anyhow.

So just rough figuring, if I'm shopping a $5000 to $7000 10ee, I'm probably going to into it for another $3k to $4K before I can run it right.

Total inventory not listed on this SB 13, but based on pics I'm thinking its tooled and ready to go.

There was some guy in the General Section asking for help with his retirement/semi retirement direction. He has a budget of 75K to set up a shop. He wanted to start with a lathe and knee mill. The guys over there said he didn't have enough money! He wanted to purchase new equipment and if he could grow some business he would expand to other machines later. This is ideal for a guy like that IMO. I think it is priced very well for what it is. (If it is as nice as the pics would suggest) What can this machine not do that a Monarch can?

Looks like the bed has been reground (and he guarantee's factory specs). If that's the case and all the tooling comes with it, IMO it's a very good price compared to what a new import lathe runs. Not that the two compare in terms of quality, but if you wanted to buy a tooled-up new lathe, your options are import or a very good rebuild, and personally I'd rather spend more money on a good rebuild than a cheap new import. He's probably loosing money on it considering costs of grinding, parts, man-hours, and piecing together the tooling.

What can this machine not do that a Monarch can?

The swing of a 10ee is about the same. This 13 bed is probably longer than your average 10ee.

Major difference is power, spindle speed, and quality. A 10ee spindle will do 2000 to 4000 rpm top speed. And depending motor, 5, 10 or more hp often DC. The general build quality is on another level.

The SB 13 is probably 1hp with a top end of a 1000 rpm.

The composite board or underlayment bolted inside the chip pan covered with rags makes me wonder if it was rusted out.
Never seen a drip pan under the gear box.
I have the same lathe. I kinda like the drips. It adds to the patina.

The swing of a 10ee is about the same. This 13 bed is probably longer than your average 10ee.

Major difference is power, spindle speed, and quality. A 10ee spindle will do 2000 to 4000 rpm top speed. And depending motor, 5, 10 or more hp often DC. The general build quality is on another level.

The SB 13 is probably 1hp with a top end of a 1000 rpm.

Oh I didn't know about the spindle speed difference! That is a big deal, especially for polishing! I am lucky in that I kept my first lathe to use as a polisher. It's a.... MicroLux 7x14 with VFD and 3,000 RPM. It isn't useful for much, well I shouldn't say that because it's a good polisher! My Son used it to turn a bunch of wooden pen blanks too!

Now I want a Monarch! lol

Good afternoon.. I thought I recognized my buddy's shop, and sure enough its him. We went to High School and College together, and I can tell you he's the real deal. Read the eBay add and it describes the bed condition, the chip pan reinforcement, etc. I haven't been on this forum for some time and surprised I fell across this immediately. His last visit here where he chimed into the discussion was in 2019. He's Santal8 here...

Very nice looking machine. It'll be interesting to see the final price. I hope it sells, because I have a nice SB I hope to sell one day (hopefully before I wear it out myself).

Comparison to a 10ee is apples and oranges IMO. Ford vs Ferrari. But a 10ee in comparable condition might fetch $30k, maybe more?

I to know this seller personally, and have had the pleasure of laying my eyes on this master piece of machine. This lathe bed has not been reground, as someone suggested above. It is about as factory new as one could get.

If we rewind the clock back to 2014, there was an identical 13" lathe in same condition that sold for $10,000!

Whoever ends up being the new owner of this machine, will be one lucky individual!

The composite board or underlayment bolted inside the chip pan covered with rags makes me wonder if it was rusted out.
Never seen a drip pan under the gear box.
I have the same lathe. I kinda like the drips. It adds to the patina.

That composite board or underlayment that you could not make out clearly in the picture is actually a 1/4" thick steel plate that was added as reinforcement for the tooling holders / accessories. I can ensure you that there is not ONE SPEC of rust on this machine.

Back