What's new
What's new

Gibbs oilers for carriage

Tony Quiring

Titanium
I have seen mods adding a gibbs oil cup to the hand wheel on the apron.

What about the carriage above the v ways?

Seems like a cleaner way to oil them.

A local source has a good selection of oilers so easy to get.

Has anyone done this?

Me thinks close to the cross feed on the tail stock side with straight ones or 90 degree units on the front and back.

Thoughts?

If you dig around the stickies section and look for the link to Paulas 9A rebuild, she does it in there, and a few other people link to it. I want to say its in the later 50% of her build thread. I think they mostly used the ball press oilers, not the cups. (clearance for the compound to turn maybe?)

The cups would be in harm's way in many instances. i.e. parted off stock dropping on them etc. Sure... clearance is a big factor as well I would imagine. Ball oilers can be used and were used heavily by the factory in later years. In fact my 2 late model 10Ls have ball oilers on the carriage above the ways. But they take forever to get thick way oil where it needs to be. I still do it the old-fashioned way.

I put them on my 9" lathe years ago. I used ball oilers, no problem getting oil in them, takes about a minute to oil all 4 of them.
I also have 2 cup oilers on my tail stock to oil the ways under them.
search my photo bucket account in the south bend section and you will find all the
OilGrooves1.jpg
:sleepy::nono::sleepy:

MyPictures0003.jpg

Our l&s pumps oil manual or auto when you turn the hand wheel.

It has feeds across the carriage to the back ways.

Maybe we can look at adding 90 degree units to the back side so the taper protects them.

Adding a feed tube to the front like the l&s.

That will be awhile as we are still tearing the beast down.

Back