What's new
What's new

Glueing a serpintine belt

lobsterman

Plastic
Hi All,
I am new to the forum. I was an MR in the Navy 40+ years ago. I then did an apprenticeship at Kearney & Trucker for Machine tool Rebuild. Then went to Martine Marietta as CNC machine repair, Now Lockheed Martin, and now I am an electronics technician repairing CNC Grinders and polisher, and Optical coating chambers. I still support the machine shop when needed, but mostly stay in optics. I am Still at Lockheed and hoping to retire soon.
My path has taken me away from actual machining except a few repairs, and projects in our maintenance machine shop, but I am still working around machine tools. Although this carrier path has been good to me I have always missed cutting metal, and making, or repairing something. The other day I ran into a deal on a 9" South Bend model A buried in a guys garage that I just couldn't pass up. I have been cleaning it up, and so far everything seems like it should work. Of course the belts are gone. I have a v-belt for the drive, but of course need the flat belt. I have been browsing the forum and see that a great replacement is the serpentine belt from a car/truck. Thank you all for the great posts. They have been very informative. Unfortunately for some reason I can not see the photos that are posted. And I see a reference to, "how to run a lath" for lacing, which I have not found yet. I am sure it is just because that I am not familiar enough with the site. If any one could direct me to finding the information on splicing and gluing, or splicing a serpentine belt I would appreciate it. Also if you know why I can not see the pictures that would be helpful. I am also looking for the best glue that you guys have been using for these splices.
The picture is as I put the parts together. I will post another picture when I get it cleaned up and hopefully running.

Sout Bend Lathe.jpg

This may not be what you want to hear, but you need to pull the spindle to verify the felts are delivering oil to the spindle, and verify that the cone pulley is lubricated properly.

So there is no need to splice the belt in your case.

Why not just use a flat link belt and forego the hassle of splicing and/or sewing a belt?

I know I am going to have to go through and replace the felts before I do any running. I have know idea when the last time this thing was turning. The guy I bought it from had it for years and never turned it on. It was off the table and spread all over the garage. I was considering the felt kit that comes with the rebuild manual, but I was hoping to actual get this thing turning and evaluate where I stand first. I would prefer not to do a complete rebuild at this time if I can. I have been adding oil and not moving it much except to clean. I did disassemble the cross slide and compound, and tail stock to clean and oil it. It feels pretty smooth so far. I need to disassemble the gear train, because the grease is filthy and hardened, although it seems smooth by hand. I also need to disassemble the three jaw chuck. It is not as smooth as it should be.
Yea, ok, you talked me into it Johansen. I will buy the kit and put a belt on without a splice. I would prefer that.
If you look under the table you will see he had two of these 9" South Bend lathes. The other one is missing the cross slide, the compound, the tail stock, the motor, and the chuck, so it is incomplete, but useful for some spare parts hopefully.

a 440J8 belt is just about perfect.
44" is about the minimum length you can use on the 9" with the standard countershaft and the J section 8 rib is about 3/4" wide.

I super glued my serpentine belt and then stitched it with some safety wire as I had problems with it coming apart.

I was an MR on the USS Prairie from 76-80.

Hi Lobsterman, if nobody welcomed you already, welcome aboard. With your experience level I can't imagine you would find disassembly of that 9" very challenging... from the look of it the old girl could use some TLC. Jim

I cut my belt(free from car shop). Butted the ends together. Glued a piece of leather 300mm long over the splice and then laced it with polypropylene cord. I tried fisihing line before and it tore out. Whatever you do, leave a lot od slack in the belt as you adjust the tension. Put on only enough to prevent slip. Mine slips a bit on start up. It uses a lot less tension than the leather belt and is much better for the bearings.

I was glueing car belts...(free) with superglue......long scarf,and the secret was to put much pressure on the join for 1/2 day,then the join would last ok.....I used a 50 ton press.....dont squash the belt,obviously............Howvever,I now join the belts with whipper snipper cord...Stihl brand is the best by far........and the joints last "forever".........Ive gone even cheaper and started joining V belts too ,with cord...............and its a great conversation starter.....on how mean I am.

You don't need to glue a belt because you can fit one over the spindle while it's out and you can fit one over the counter shaft by removing the shaft. However, if you do decide to lace a serpentine belt for it, use the lace pattern shown in How to Run a Lathe and PUNCH the holes using a harness punch. Do not drill the holes because if you do, the lacing will tear out. I've got a punched and laced serpentine belt running on my 10L now that's been there for over 5 years with no sign of distress.

Hi Lobsterman, if nobody welcomed you already, welcome aboard. With your experience level I can't imagine you would find disassembly of that 9" very challenging... from the look of it the old girl could use some TLC. Jim

Thanks for the welcome. Slowly cleaning her up. I like to get and idea of what I am doing before I just jump in. This sit has a lot of great info. I am sure I will have a few questions.

I went thru MR "A" school in San Diego from around 11/76 - 2/77. How about you? Maybe our paths crossed.
Unfortunatly When I enlisted the recruiter told me there was no such rate for machine shop work. I was a non striker and was assigned to the engine room, 2mmr, Of course I found out there indeed was such rate and spent my spare time with the MR's and struck for the MR rate.

Thanks all, Some great information, and great ingenuity here.
I am planning on purchasing the felt kit with the manual. I will get a serpentine belt that fits without splicing, and install it at the same time. I am not intending on restoring to prestine condition. Some of you guys have real gone all out and did some fantastic work. My goal is to make sure everything is clean and smooth, getting proper lubrication and there is no damage, and then play with it and work on my skills.

Back