What's new
What's new

Going to look at a heavy 10 today

chipss

Cast Iron
Going to look at one today for a friend. Is there anything in particular to check out? I have a 9" model A so the functionality is familiar. It's under power using it's 480V undermount motor. If he buys it he will change it out for a 3/4 or 1 hp single phase.

Thanks in advance.

Look at the bed about 6" from the end of the headstock, particularly at the prisms. This is where the wear is the most on these lathes and tells you a lot about its history. If there is a groove on the prisms, it means a lot of hard use in its past. Take a 6" rule and a flashlight. Put the rule against the face of the front prism and see if you can see light coming under the rule.

Ways are mint but other things have some wear. He bought it. And may the tinkering begin.

We got it to his house last weekend, borrowed the neighbours skid steer with forks which made unloading and placing it a breeze. And now the fun starts. The 480 volt motor is out and a 1 phase is on order. Cross slide is apart for a new brass nut. Quick change gearbox and saddle are next for cleaning and refelting. Then the headstock for wicks and clearance check. Aah the never ending tinkering and his learning curve.

I keep telling him Oh what I can do with your money. Just give me your CC number.
Like a kid with a new toy he's starting to order cutting tools etc.

It is a 240/480 motor. In the long run it's cheaper and easier for him to just to re power it with a 120 volt 3/4 hp motor for $140.

I have a heavy 10 if you want to take a drive.
L00 Chuck
36" bed
DRO
VFD and 3phase motor
Fully outfitted
Getting ready to list.

John

Back