What's new
What's new

Gold plated (?) 9A for sale in Utah

I dunno. Looks in good shape and supposedly there was that guy here wanting to sell a brand new one for 10k and got 8 or 9..?? Don't know if any of that was true or not though.

Everybody wants capitalism until its time to do some capitalism stuff and then they complain about it. I don't get it.

Who cares what people ask for their stuff? If it sells for $10,000 between two consenting adults and they are happy then it is a good deal.

I have been watching that lathe on our local ksl.com classified ads also.{he does have a lot of tooling to go with the lathe}

That's what I thought, too. For that price, I expected to see perfectly scraped and frosted ways.

That’s a war production machine, the ways were never frosted. They are scraped flat and that is all. There will be other characteristics that are similar. They are not fit and finished to the degree of the ones after the war. If you pull the head off you will find the scraping is a match to the rest of the bed. That machine is around 1943 or so. During the war unless you had a contract with the government you couldn't buy a machine and the ones that were bought were finished to do work not look pretty.

The funny thing is on the same lathe classified ad page with the South Bend is a Monarch 10EE for less money, two Cincinnati lathes one for less money and the other one same price and a nice Leblond for less, granted the other lathes are all three phase and heavy lathes to move, but just saying which one would you rather have.?

For that money, I would expect better ways, a real Aloris TP, and I would expect the follow rest and milling attachment to be refinished as well.

Back