What's new
What's new

Where to get a gear?

TFCO

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

I'm looking to get a gear for my south bend lathe and was wondering if anyone could help.
The gear I'm looking to get is:
-tooth count 27
Pressure angle 14.5
DP 14.06
OD of gear is 2.0625"
Inside bore .5 with a 1/8 key way

I have a 1929 9" south bend Jr with gear box for threading the gear I want to replace is the one that is always running all the time. The gear I have is so worn out it looks like a bike sprocket.

Thanks

that sounds like a pretty common sized gear. Check McMaster-Carr (or any other industrial supplier) for their Boston Gear selection. You might just find an unfinished gear with the teeth allready cut and just have to machine out the center hole to fit your application.

Frank

Another option is to buy a 10L single tumbler gearbox on ebay, and swap the gears. I think they are the same. Of course, the one you buy might be just as bad as the one you have.

allan

not likely to find that one on ebay.

if no luck, recommend you contact member " finegrain "

Or contact sbLatheman (sp?)

If one searches on "south bend 27 tooth", at this point in time, one would find:

South Bend Lathe 13" Reverse Tumbler Gear 27 Teeth | eBay

I have no idea if it interchanges....

Note to OP:
Welcome to Practical Machinist!
This is a fast-moving website, with fast-moving forums, and while you DID post to the South Bend forum, where your thread might not be buried on "page 3" for a while, you would be better served by being as descriptive as possible in your title's text, and the first line of your body of text.

The title would be improved as:
Looking for 27 tooth gear for 1929 South Bend 9 inch

And since some pages truncate the title, the first lines of the body of text (displayed when mousing over the link) should be:
Looking for 27 tooth gear for 1929 South Bend 9 inch:
Pressure angle 14.5
DP 14.06
OD of gear is 2.0625"
Inside bore .5 with a 1/8 key way

Don't give up, just become a better communicator.

Good Luck,
Steve

P.S. These suggestions also apply anytime Search Engine Optimization is considered, since Google looks at the first line of text.

I'll be a snitch and show you what TFCO is working on.

The identity of this machine has not really been cleared up. Plate on the gear cover says its a 382 R. Serial number is in the 44000 range, can't remember it exactly. I've always thought it was a 1929 wide bed 9 (although I keep calling it a Junior for whatever reason). Its been bastardized a bit, like the horizontal drive unit that is obviously from a newer machine. I bought this lathe in the fall of 2009, and for the past couple of years had set it up for my Dad to use it for turning wood until he passed on last summer. The half-nuts were missing, and it had a number of other issues, but seemed like a salvageable machine. I didn't really have a place for it anymore, so I traded it to a co-worker for some micrometers and a promise to give him a hand getting in in decent working order. So far he has made a set of half-nuts for the apron as well as this gear. I've gotten it all apart now and we're looking it over and going after areas where the wear and tear is obvious. When he gets it repainted to his satisfaction it will go back together for a good trial before we move it to his basement workshop. I think with what he's gotten done so far, the biggest challenge lying ahead will be getting that table down the stairs, the bloody thing weighs 600 pounds by itself. When I bought the machine, there was no table or bench with it, and the original bed feet were also missing, so I adapted feet from a later SB and bolted it down on this table which was probably NOT meant for a lathe bench, but certainly will hold one just fine.

SB front 1.jpg

Best,
T2

Back