What's new
What's new

Grinder for HSS

animal12

Stainless
Readin the thread for the ToolBlock got me thinkin . I have the Grizzly Tool Grinder ,I also have several small bench grinders . What speed are we lookin for when sharpenin HSS ? I know some of the grinders for woodworkers are slower than the norm 1725 RPM . I have several good bench arbors & was thinkin of settin one or two up with different wheels, I can adjust the speed with different size pulleys . so if I'm usin a 1725 rpm motor what speed should I be lookin for ? I want to set one up with a white standard wheel on one side & a white cup on the other side .
tks
animal

Readin the thread for the ToolBlock got me thinkin . I have the Grizzly Tool Grinder ,I also have several small bench grinders . What speed are we lookin for when sharpenin HSS ? I know some of the grinders for woodworkers are slower than the norm 1725 RPM . I have several good bench arbors & was thinkin of settin one or two up with different wheels, I can adjust the speed with different size pulleys . so if I'm usin a 1725 rpm motor what speed should I be lookin for ? I want to set one up with a white standard wheel on one side & a white cup on the other side .
tks
animal

RPM wanted is relative to the diameter (hence also the SFM at the working face..) of the wheels meant to be used.

Bad things happen when a wheel is run faster than its design rating. Time and wheel-life is wasted if run too slowly. The HSS itself isn't all that picky. Just do NOT "shock cool" a hot HSS tool with a water-cup dip. Plenty of published info on that.

If one needs a large conventional wheel AND a smaller cup?

Wiser to use two rather different grinders for them.

There are some variable speed grinders on the market. I have one that uses 6" diameter wheels and I really like it for sharpening stuff because the reduced speed available cuts down on overheating the tool.

Back