What's new
What's new

Head stock removal

mwill135

Aluminum
Getting my Model A (10k) cleaned up and partially restored (see my other threads as well) ran into a problem. Need to get QCGB off and screws are being a problem. If I take the head stock off for better access do I then have a potential realignment problem when reattaching? I’m trying not to create problems. Just a thorough cleaning and oiling in hopes of good functionality. As you can tell I’m new to this, I appreciate all the help I can get.

G...do I then have a potential realignment problem when reattaching...

No. In fact if you really want to clean the gunk out under the headstock then this is a good way to do it. The
V and flat ways will align it back the way it was. There may be a pin protruding from the bed that engages
a hole in the underside of the headstock flat way to keep the headstock from inching along the ways. Be sure
the pin and hole are clean too.

Often an impact driver is needed to loosen those screws. Likewise the right hand leadscrew bracket.

So I have 9A that I am refurbishing. while I am at it, I am going to try and convert it to a 10k. Will the bed from a 9A fit a 10k headstock, assuming that I have the 10k support leg for the headstock side of the bed?

I’m trying not to create problems. Just a thorough cleaning and oiling in hopes of good functionality. As you can tell I’m new to this, I appreciate all the help I can get.

And this is where it begins. . . You peer down the rabbit hole hole for functionality, and soon you'll have have levels, gauges, and assorted devices trying to squeeze just that much out of it, as you get totally sucked into this madness. :D

If you're learning, and want to learn, tearing it down into a million pieces and putting it back together will greatly increase understanding, of not just the machine, but the work you want to do on the machine. When you are done, it won't be an asked question. It'll be an answer you can give in legit numbers, and know what it means in relation to the work you are doing.

It can be complicated, but its all a solvable problem. Plenty of folks here to help. But the price is pics. We need pics.

Back