What's new
What's new

Headstock question

bookbinder

Plastic
The headstock on my 9 inch model 415 lathe seeps quite a bit of oil. I am using spindle oil and I checked the clearance, it is at.001. Is there a felt wick that needs to be replaced to help this? Y

I think that some of the lathes had small oil control wires that rest in the groove at the ends of the spindle herrings.

How much is weeping out, some is normal it has a total loss lubrication system.

It leaks quite a bit while running, not much at rest. It dose not get warm at all whenI run it. I just might have to tear it down and see what's up.

Not familiar with the earlier headstocks, but later 9's have shim packs that can be "adjusted" (remove shim(s)) to obtain correct clearance. You checked by lifting up with a bar through the spindle? .001 is correct...are both bearings leaking, or just one of them?

headstoc seeping oil

Not familiar with the earlier headstocks, but later 9's have shim packs that can be "adjusted" (remove shim(s)) to obtain correct clearance. You checked by lifting up with a bar through the spindle? .001 is correct...are both bearings leaking, or just one of them?

I took it apart,got bad news. The spindle and housing are scored, and the cone pully has a tooth missing. I got the lathe fot free so I can aford to repair it, looks like I need to find a headstock. The lathe is a 9c circa 1935 if anyone on the form has a spare in good shape, or knows of one please P/M me.

Back