What's new
What's new

Headstock questions - 1936 9 inch South Bend lathe

Joe Tom

Plastic
Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum and new to machining. I picked up a 9" South Bend Lathe, with the year 1936 stamped into the bed. It appears to be in good shape. I am excited to start working with this machine but I have a few questions and would greatly appreciate any help the experts on this forum can provide.

1) There appears to be some sort of fibrous washer on the nose end of the spindle. The washer turns with the spindle (first picture). What is this for? Is it original to the lathe? I do not see it in the parts breakdown I found online.

2) On the back end of the spindle there are two holes in the bearing with felts sticking out (second picture). Why are they here and not also in the front bearing?

3) Speaking of felts, are there any in the bearings of this type of headstock with the oil ports on top?

Thanks,

Joe

Attachments

• IMG-1467.jpg
    IMG-1467.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 174
  • IMG-1469.jpg
    IMG-1469.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 141
Maybe like so?

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/15R/15R.pdf

Phenolic "thrust washer" may be a replacement front spindle bearing?

I'll supose the head stocks used the cast iron of the head stock as the front and rear spindle bearing material - as was common later

A fix for a worn out situation would be to bore out head stock and install something different, like a phenolic bearing - custom made for the situation

Here is some handy related info

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

ph

Thanks for johnodor. Looks like good info.

I found out from Grizzly this is a 415 Y. I was pulling at the black washer on the spindle and it came off. Turns out it was stuck, probably glued to the spindle itself. It came off in two layers. I would guess it is made of a some layers of paper glued together. Interestingly after it came off I could see a slot cut into the cast iron bearing directly under the oiler. It appears this is filled with felt. I attached a photo. You can see the washer hanging on the spindle thread. The brown stuff on the spindle is I believe the glue that held the washer on. The slot containing the felt is visible on top of the spindle. I think the washer was used to help keep the spindle oil in the bearing and maybe to keep debris out. Of course now I need a new one. Does anyone know what they are called?

I will be taking the spindle out to replace the belt with a serpentine one. Also, I'll replace the fiber washer behind the take up nut with a needle bearing. In the process I'll do a "lift test" to check the bearing clearance and adjust the shims if necessary. I'll replace the felts. Is there anything else I should do while I have it apart?

Attachments

• IMG-1470_fixed.jpg
    IMG-1470_fixed.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 102

Back