What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Base Configuration Options

FTF Engineering

Hot Rolled
Are the different base configurations used on the heavy 10's interchangeable? By that, I mean, can you move the lathe portion of any heavy 10 say, from a cabinet onto a pedestal, or vice-versa?

Are they all interchangeable? All the holes line up and all that?
Is one version preferred over another for any reason other than aesthetics?

This one, which I believe is referred to as "The Pedestal" base:
heavy10_1.JPG

And a couple of different cabinet mounts.
The first which I believe is the oldest and is referred to as "The Bent Leg" cabinet
1057RKL8.jpg

And this one which I believe is the newest design. I don't know if it's earned a pet name.
2590392736_100d387e62.jpg

I also found this one, but I'm not sure if it's shop made or factory supplied:
15128RKX16.jpg

Any others as well?

I think the second one is called the "loopy leg" type. :)

FWIW personally I think those round knurled latch knobs on that
type are the apex of industrial engineering design.

I think beds will retrofit to any kind of base though.

They did ship heavy tens with wooden cabinets, I saw one
of those down at a navy base in florida at one time.

Jim

My 1965 Heavy 10 came on a cabinet like the one in your last picture. It's even got that dimple in the chip tray, which I assume is for a coolant system(?)

Tom

Yeah, I've heard the "loopy leg" name too. :)

So what's with the "latch knobs"? I'm guessing from the name that the drawers latch or something? You have to twist the knob to unlatch the drawer in order to open it?

Tom, I didn't take any of those pics. I nabbed most of those pictures from Steve Wells website. For all I know that pic is your lathe... ;)

Yeah, I've heard the "loopy leg" name too. :)

So what's with the "latch knobs"? I'm guessing from the name that the drawers latch or something? You have to twist the knob to unlatch the drawer in order to open it?

Tom, I didn't take any of those pics. I nabbed most of those pictures from Steve Wells website. For all I know that pic is your lathe... ;)

The knobs need to be twisted to unlatch it so it will open. Took a little getting use to but its a nice feature
Tour

The last one is my Lathe and as far as I know it shipped from the factory like that in 1967.
It has an X in the serial name which indicates something on it was non standard or special ordered. It also has D1-4 Camlock so that maybe it.

Regards,
Kevin

The last one is my Lathe and as far as I know it shipped from the factory like that in 1967.
Nice looking machine Kevin. Sounds like flathead4 and I would both love to have one that looked like yours!

I took my heavy ten from a u shaped steel cabinet to a cast base and leg...Bob
So Bob, Why did you move yours from the U-shaped bent leg onto a cast base? Was there something wrong with your cabinet base? Seems to me that the cabinet would make a handy place to store some tooling for the machine...

Yes, it was in good shape. Spent it's life at Farmingdale College being used for Shop Class for 29 years !

Just picked up a nice Taper Attachment for it too. Now I have everything except a follow rest and a micrometer stop. I stripped off all the electro mechanicals and wired up a nice VFD for it too.

So Bob, Why did you move yours from the U-shaped bent leg onto a cast base? Was there something wrong with your cabinet base? Seems to me that the cabinet would make a handy place to store some tooling for the machine...

2 reasons. The main reason is i left the u leg cabinet in Michigan when i picked up the lathe because the truck couldn't haul it.
And i like the look of the pedistal base lathes. Yes storage would have been nice but i have a sheetmetal fab shop so i can make anything i need. I was thinking of adding a second cast base to the tail end just for storage and maybe that would look cool. It sure would give someone years from now something to talk about in the SB forums. Why Does My Heavy 10 have 2 cast bell legs? LOL...Bob

The wooden base one is a ringer for the one I saw down
at the navy base in panama city. The lathe had the
anchors stamped by the serial number on the bed.

Jim

The wooden base one is a ringer for the one I saw down
at the navy base in panama city. The lathe had the
anchors stamped by the serial number on the bed.

Jim

I nabbed that pic of the one on the wooden bench from the website that Mike C. mentioned above: http://home.att.net/~micallahan/machineshop.html

The cabinet gives a hint to the history of this machine. Note the window latches on the drawers and lower belt access door. It was first assumed that this was probably a surplus Navymachine, but the discovery of olive drab paint inside the drawers and an old forgotten scribe block found in one of the drawers and marked U.S.A.A.F.confirmed that it was probably part of an Army Air Forces mobile machine shop and, due to its age, undoubtably saw service during WWII.

Another Example

This is a HEAVY 10 base from the 40's. Has any body seen one like this?
I am using this one for the 10" I'm building for ME.:rolleyes5:
TED

Attachments

• 10inBench.jpg
    10inBench.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 471

Back