What's new
What's new

heavy 10 belt

Andy221

Cast Iron
Hello, well my belt just came apart, it was in rough shape. What do I do? I was thinking cut off the frayed end and redo the little clips. Can I re-use them? And Do I need a special tool to get them back into the belt correctly? I'm in a bind here. Thanks, Andy

Well, Bummer as we say.

You have some choices here. Theoretically, you could re-use the lacing clips but to install the properly, you really need the clever little tool that aligns the clips and clinches the closed. Sadly, those Clipper lacers are no longer made but you can find them on eBay sometimes but hardly ever cheap.

You could order a new belt, either with lacing clips already in it or one that's meant to be glued together. The glue type typically will come with the necessary adhesive. If you rummage around on this site, you'll find some sources for a new belt.

If you're desperate to use your lathe, then you can go out and buy an automotive serpentine belt that's a bit longer than you need. I think the Heavy 10 belt is in the range of 61 to 62 inches long. You'll have to cut your new belt to be able to feed it "down and around" the pulleys. You can read other members' experiences with attempts to glue the serpentine belts but personally I would lace the belt with either monofilament or possibly rawhide lacing if you can find it. I've used the monofilament with some success. You have to try to use the heaviest line you can get through the holes you'll have to punch or drill in the belt. The best luck I've had has been with 100# test line which seems to resist cutting the belt the way some of the lighter lines may tend to do. In either case, you have to work with the belt already positioned in the lathe which is a little awkward, but still can be done.

You can find the recommended lacing patterns in How to Run a Lathe or most likely in one of the South Bend sites such as The SBL Workshop

Be of good cheer! A belt failure is not fatal!

I would remove the clips from your current belt, clean the ends up, and lace it as per HTRAL. Then I would buy a replacement belt, and keep it in reserve in case the lacing breaks.

allan

Do not mess with anything other an automotive serpentine belt. They work far, far , far better than any other belt and cost less too! You could even use a used one that you can have a local garage save for you for free. They will last for years and years on a lathe after they need to be replaced on a car or truck.

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone. I lucked out at the local implement store and had her running by 1:00. They had a piece of used baler belt. They even had the gator clips and a tool to squeeze them together so I lucked out pretty good. I think it's actually going towork better than the original belt, seems less likely to slip. Thanks again

Back