What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Chip Pan Hole Locations/Layout?

Vladymere gr

Hot Rolled
Hello all,

Can anyone provide me with the factory under drive mounting hole and head stock and tail stock mounting hole locations as well as the tray opening location under the head stock?

Perhaps someone is in the midst of a refurbishment and can make these measurements for me, if they would be kind enough?

I ask because my mounting holes appear to have been made by an oxyacetylene torch and located by trial and error. I don't know it this under mount was purchased for this lathe or not. I say this as my factory build cards show that this heavy 10 was ordered in late 1942 by the Marietta Airplane Assembly Plant without a bench so who knows where this bench was acquired.

Thank you,

Vladymere

Attachments

• Small chip tray, headstock.jpg
    Small chip tray, headstock.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Small chip tray.jpg
    Small chip tray.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 73
This is a looped pipe leg bench, yes? Different than mine which is sheet metal so I suspect my hole locations would
not work for you. My only suggestion is to open up the holes so they are round, cut some slugs out of mild steeel,
and oxy weld them in to plug up all the existing holes. Then mark the holes for the bed and re-drill them.

Thanks for responding Mr. Rozen.

Yes Mr. Rozen. A looped pipe bench, three drawer cabinet. I thought if I could accuratly lay out the mounting holes that I would weld in the two current sets of holes.

The under drive cradle is cracked. That is another post where I am looking for one. The under drive tension crank was previously cracked and welded. The under drive current position does not let the door close.

You can see two sets of under drive holes burned into the chip pan. I don't know if this was used with a different size lathe prior to the heavy ten that is it's bed or they just got it wrong the first time.

Thanks for responding Mr. Rozen.

Yes Mr. Rozen. A looped pipe bench, three drawer cabinet. I thought if I could accuratly lay out the mounting holes that I would weld in the two current sets of holes.

The under drive cradle is cracked. That is another post where I am looking for one. The under drive tension crank was previously cracked and welded. The under drive current position does not let the door close.

You can see two sets of under drive holes burned into the chip pan. I don't know if this was used with a different size lathe prior to the heavy ten that is it's bed or they just got it wrong the first time.

I suspect the loopy leg bench was only ever used for 10L machines. The underdrive unit had been brass welded, IE brass brazed. My guess is that even given
the incorrect fixturing of the two parts, the brass weld will probably be pretty strong. My first guess would be to hit it with a torch and melt out the existing joint,
and try to wire brush out as much brass as possible - and the fixture it properly (so the flat surface really is flat) and apply more brass braze.
The flat surface would be rested on a firebrick and maybe a temporary clamp on the upper parts to hold it in the right position while the torch work goes on.

Because the joint is now covered in brass I doubt that welding would be a good choice.

The chip pan looks pretty good actually. The heavy 9 I got was in worse shape really. I finally cut it short (it was for a longer lathe) and had a local
welder stick weld it back together. I cut some slugs of soft steel and oxy welded them to fill unused holes - and then drilled them in the correct place.

I really love the look of the pipe leg benches - bonus if the original SB knurled drawer latches are present, with the keyway in the center.

Mr. Rozen,

If I cannot find a used cradle I will follow your advice about re-brazing the cracked portion. Brazing is something I can do.

Only one of the three drawers has the knurled latch assembly the other two now have "finger holes" which I don't care for.

Perhaps somebody with a pipe loop bench can make measurements to the under drive mount bolts for me.

Vlad

I have a VERY nice cabinet identical to yours for sale.I have just finished swaping my 1967 heavy 10 over on a late style cabinet like it was supposed to be on.The one like yours is complete with under drive unit and has really good original color paint.All drawers have the correct locks(no key).It is ready to bolt lathe down and run.I am in middle TN.If interested PM me and I will give you a contact number.

Back