What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 collet attachment

Bellaru433

Aluminum
I have a South Bend heavy 10 with the D1-4 cam lock and I also have the factory South Bend collet set with the South Bend drawbar and Nose attachment that the collet fits into.. The problem is it doesn’t go in far enough to grab the threads In order to pull the Collet in... the nose attachment that the collet fits into fits into the hole on the cam lock nicely with about 3/16 of an inch room to be pulled in tightly but it’s still too short to grab drawbar.. everything is “South Bend” ,, Is there a special longer nose attachment needed for this cam lock set up..???
I actually have two South Bend draw bars with the Nose attachment that fits on the end of the drawbar with the South Bend collets and they’re both the same they fit into the camlock nicely with a little less than a quarter of an inch remaining to be pulled in snuggly but both are still too short to grab the threads on the Collet..??
What am I missing here.. can someone please help me out and explain my situation I would greatly appreciate it.. thank you ...

So your saying that theres one size for the screw on spindle snd another for the cam lock... ?
You know on the opposite end of the drawbar The diameter of the tube increases for about 2 inches before you get to the actual handle that you turn in order to screw it in.. sticking it all the way in it butts up against that larger radius at the end and keeps it from going in any further I wonder if I can turn that down in the lathe for however much I need in length to allow it to slide in further.. like I said there’s about 2 inches in length worth of larger diameter tube there which is plenty... actually I don’t know if maybe that would be the standard fix for that rather than trying to add onto the length which would be much more difficult... hmmmm... i’m going to have to find someone that has dealt with the situation themselves and feel around four what would be the best way to do this... thank you sir...

Actually it’s a collar like a sleeve that has a hole in it for oil and it spins allowing the drawbar to rotate while still holding the pressure and it’s about an inch and a half in length,,,I wonder if that could be modified and cut down shorter...?? it seems like this whole drawbar comes apart near the wheel on the end..

So your saying that theres one size for the screw on spindle snd another for the cam lock... ?

Yes. There is one length for the threaded spindle, another length for the D1-4 spindle and still another for the long taper key spindle. For instance, the threaded spindle tube length is 15-[SUP]3[/SUP]/[SUB]16[/SUB]" (15.1875").

I have a South Bend heavy 10 with the D1-4 cam lock and I also have the factory South Bend collet set with the South Bend drawbar and Nose attachment that the collet fits into.. The problem is it doesn’t go in far enough to grab the threads In order to pull the Collet in... the nose attachment that the collet fits into fits into the hole on the cam lock nicely with about 3/16 of an inch room to be pulled in tightly but it’s still too short to grab drawbar.. everything is “South Bend” ,, Is there a special longer nose attachment needed for this cam lock set up..???
I actually have two South Bend draw bars with the Nose attachment that fits on the end of the drawbar with the South Bend collets and they’re both the same they fit into the camlock nicely with a little less than a quarter of an inch remaining to be pulled in snuggly but both are still too short to grab the threads on the Collet..??
What am I missing here.. can someone please help me out and explain my situation I would greatly appreciate it.. thank you ...

How long is your draw tube ?

Its 15 3/16” Long... i still think I might be able to take the collar that butts up to the back of the spindle the collar that Spins near the hand wheel and shorten it so more of the tube go into the spindle And catch the threads on the collet....?
I think that would be better than lengthening the tube itself..... I wonder if there’s like a coupling or something that I could add two the threaded end of the drawbar that would let’s say screw onto it and have threads on the other end to catch the collet... Do you have any ideas you could help me with.do you have any ideas you could help me with...Now that I think about it I think being able to add a coupling on the end of it with a female on one side and a mail on the other
Now that I think about it I think being able to add a coupling on the end of it with a female on one side and a male on the other To get the desired length would be the best way around this just screw the male sine on with some Loctite And have the female and on the other replicating the drawbar itself just making it that much longer...And have the female and on the other replicating the drawbar itself just making it that much longer..??

Then again I’m not good enough to make something like that and cut those fine threads and have it actually fit on a nicely....You would think that this would be a common problem for many South Bend users that can’t find the exact length drawbar.. you would think that this would be a common problem for many South Bend users that can’t find the exact length drawbar.

Its 15 3/16” Long... i still think I might be able to take the collar that butts up to the back of the spindle the collar that Spins near the hand wheel and shorten it so more of the tube go into the spindle And catch the threads on the collet....?
I think that would be better than lengthening the tube itself..... I wonder if thereÂ’s like a coupling or something that I could add two the threaded end of the drawbar that would letÂ’s say screw onto it and have threads on the other end to catch the collet... Do you have any ideas you could help me with.do you have any ideas you could help me with...Now that I think about it I think being able to add a coupling on the end of it with a female on one side and a mail on the other
Now that I think about it I think being able to add a coupling on the end of it with a female on one side and a male on the other To get the desired length would be the best way around this just screw the male sine on with some Loctite And have the female and on the other replicating the drawbar itself just making it that much longer...And have the female and on the other replicating the drawbar itself just making it that much longer..??

15 3/16” is the correct length for a 10L with a threaded spindle, but still should connect to the collet, just not the correct amount of threads. If yours is not touching the collet, something else is wrong. Let’s see a picture of your collet sleeve, both in and out of the spindle. And the backside of your spindle. Add a picture of your draw tube assembly too.
Ted

Ted.. I really appreciate your help.. I don’t know how to add a photo on this site I’ve been trying to figure it out and I just don’t get it.. my drawbar isn’t even touching the Collett it’s that short and as I was looking at it I can’t even figure out how you’re supposed to stick a dead center in the spindle if I wanted to turn something using center to centers... I mean the 3 Morse taper Is way down inside there could you please explain to me how I attach a photograph so I can get these pictures to you thank you..

I just Googled how to attach a photo on practical machinist forum and it tells me that first the photograph Has to be on the web somewhere,, this is unbelievable.. I can’t believe there’s just no way to attach a photo from my pictures in my phone... would you mind replying to my email address where I can attach big clear photographs or even a video..
If that’s OK with you my email is
[email protected]..

I just Googled how to attach a photo on practical machinist forum and it tells me that first the photograph Has to be on the web somewhere,, this is unbelievable.. I can’t believe there’s just no way to attach a photo from my pictures in my phone... would you mind replying to my email address where I can attach big clear photographs or even a video..
If that’s OK with you my email is
[email protected]..

Email sent.
Ted
[email protected]

Back