What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 dead center options?

FlyinChip

Aluminum
Need to turn a precise bushing, so I will drill the center and put between a dead center on the spindle and the live center on the tail stock, right?

Machine is a heavy 10L

How is this done? I understand the spindle taper is unique, similar to a morse #4 but larger ID than that.

Is there an adapter to use that shrinks that to a common collet size and a dead center that pulls in with a draw-bar and then use a backing plate threaded on the snout to drive the dog?

do I have this right?

thanks

Does the bushing have a hole through it? If so, you need to turn it on a mandrel. Otherwise, you are centering it using the chamfer on the edge of the hole, which may not be concentric.

If the bushing is more like a solid puck, you can just make a temporary headstock center. Put a chunk of steel in your chuck, turn a 60 degree point on it, and turn the dog tail with a chuck jaw.

But, I'm not sure which surface you are turning here? The OD? Some dimensions would help us help you.

allan

Flyinchip,
South Bend made an adapter for the spindle (actually more than one size) that reduces to Morse #3 taper or to a #2 taper. Your #2-#3 dead center would go into this much like into your tail stock.
I can send or post a picture of the one(s) I have for my Heavy 10. I have both the #2 & #3 adapter sleeves and a #2 that I made.
CWC(4)

Chuck up some iron / steel and machine a point on it with compound

Fancy version has a shoulder so it CANNOT be shoved further into chuck

True it every time you use it - so its always perfect

Rest dog tail on a chuck jaw

There's a sleeve that adapts to a standard MT3. These usually shipped with the lathe, but of course get separated during sales and such. They are on ebay and elsewhere (I got mine from latheman, Ted). It's for my 13" but if your 10L handles 5C collets, it's the the same sleeve.

Spindle Sleeve from Ted Pflugner.jpg

But the easy way is to chuck a bar in your chuck and turn a 60 degree point on it. Mount you part with the dog and drive the dog with one of the chuck jaws. More accurate than a center in a sleeve as long as you renew the point if you later unchuck the center.

John

All great suggestions thanks guys.

As to the specific task, I have a valve guide 2.5" long, that I need to reduce the OD down to .500

But I figured having a collet adapter, plate, and dead center for the lathe would come in handy on other things later as well. I assumed that a dead center would be the only way to really get the OD to run true to the ID, but turning a center in the 4 jaw chuck (only chuck I have right now) would be perfect center at least, as well.

Thanks to advice on here the Hvy 10 now has a properly installed larger spindle, looking to equip it a bit.

Another thing I thought of, my Bridgeport uses R8 collets which I have a set, is there an adapter to buy that would allow those to be used in the lathe?

nother thing I thought of, my Bridgeport uses R8 collets which I have a set, is there an adapter to buy that would allow those to be used in the lathe?

Not that I am aware of - not too handy as there is never any THROUGH capabilities, plus the 7/16-20 drawbar would be a everlasting PITA

ahh.. so do lathe collets allow material to pass through? (sorry kinda new at this equipment)

chuck up a piece of stock and turn it to a light press fit in your bushing.
give it a shoulder for the bushing to butt up against.
do not remove it.

you will have a custom mandrel that is as true as your spindle.

use your talistock to push the bushing on your mandrel(only make the mandrel as long as it has to be)

you may make a small groove or sctatch in the mandel and use a drop of super glue if needed.

doesnt get any better than that,

ahh.. so do lathe collets allow material to pass through? (sorry kinda new at this equipment)

MOST do. "Classical" actuation has been by a draw TUBE (hollow) rather than by draw BAR (solid).

Some can only do so "partially".

My D1-3 mounted ER-40 can hold a precut slug larger in diameter that the bore.

ELSE

Work rod or bar that CAN be fed through the spindle when using the smaller ER-40 collets.

Back