What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 drive belt...?

RickWG

Cast Iron
Used the search feature, nothing showed up.

Anywho. Belt snapped, apparently the one it left the factory with on July 21st 1953... Also the one it had sat there unused for the past 25 years or so until I came along.
measured it, came to a hair over 63in. Ordered a new one from Validus. Arrived today, too dang long (altho it IS 63in). slips a lot & then goes sideways off the lower pulley.

What length of belt ore you guy running? With the tension off the belt it's 2in too long.

How about the gates rubber serp belts from Autozone? Are people dismantling the lathe to fit or cutting/joining the belts? if so, how?

Looked on the 10L yahoo thing but I just can't get on with the pages/thread layout at that place at all.

Do your self favor and sell the leather one on Ebay. Then make one out an truck serpentine belt of the right with. Look up the many past posts on how to put it together. They can be glued (the best) put together with clips, (like the leather belt) or stitched with braided fish line. The serpentine belt will work much better than the best leather belt. I have put five of them on lathes. Gary P. Hansen

Anywho. Belt snapped, apparently the one it left the factory with on July 21st 1953... Also the one it had sat there unused for the past 25 years or so until I came along.
measured it, came to a hair over 63in. Ordered a new one from Validus. Arrived today, too dang long (altho it IS 63in). slips a lot & then goes sideways off the lower pulley.

What length of belt ore you guy running? With the tension off the belt it's 2in too long.

How about the gates rubber serp belts from Autozone? Are people dismantling the lathe to fit or cutting/joining the belts? if so, how?

Looked on the 10L yahoo thing but I just can't get on with the pages/thread layout at that place at all.
Here's a link to Steve Wells site with a list of belt info. supplied by Paula.
Choose your poison :D
http://www.wswells.com/data/howto/paula_stephens/beltsize.pdf
Ted

In the short term you might be able to spray it with "Belt Dressing" if they still have that stuff at the auto parts store. Guy's my age (61) used it all the time on our car A/C belts. Oddly, I do OK with the new ebay leather belt on my 9". If you're slipping off the cone pulley's sideways you might be just a bit out of parallel between the headstock and drive sets. That could also be why your old belt snapped!

The old one snapped because it was drier than a popcorn fart. The new one slips sideways because the bottom pulley is going the correct speed & the top one is just sat there going nowhere :(

My bigger SB has a rubber belt thats green on one side, off-white on the other (inner) side. Bonded together, any ideas where that may have come from? it works great.

Attached are photos of how I do it.

Use glue on left of photo for gluing belt together, after cleaning with lacquer thinner. Use glue on right of photo for filling in gaps after first gluing. Taper the belts over a 2 1/2 inch length--taper from thickness of belt to 1/64". Use wood blocks to hold belt together for gluing--5 minutes.

Attachments

• SBL 10L belt gllue.jpg
    SBL 10L belt gllue.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,189
  • SBL 10L drive belt gluing 1.jpg
    SBL 10L drive belt gluing 1.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,646
  • SBL 10L belt gluing clamp.jpg
    SBL 10L belt gluing clamp.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 1,178
Or, do what the PO did on the Sheldon I had. He actually went to the trouble of taking the spindle out and using a serpentine belt without cutting it at all. Pulled the spindle and put the belt on it, pulled the countershaft and put the belt on it. Look at it this way. It might be some trouble, but it'll outlast your lifetime of use :)

Or, do what the PO did on the Sheldon I had. He actually went to the trouble of taking the spindle out and using a serpentine belt without cutting it at all. Pulled the spindle and put the belt on it, pulled the countershaft and put the belt on it. Look at it this way. It might be some trouble, but it'll outlast your lifetime of use :)

This doesn't work on the SB under drive 10s. Belt threads through the headstock and lathe bed.

Paul

On the underdrive lathes you do have to cut the belt, and when you go to glue it back together there isn't much room to put a clamp on, at least I didn't find an easy way to do it. I guess if you don't mind working underneath and inside the cabinet you could, but I'm too old and creaky to mess with it. But the beauty part of the super glue is that it does not require a long clamp period to work. On my 10K I glued only about an inch or less at a time, held it against the pulley for 30 seconds or so with my fingers, glued the next inch and so on until it was done. I waxed the cone pulley so I wouldn't glue the belt to the pulley. It worked very well, no separation of the glue joint after many hours of use. I did use more than what I would describe as a "light" application of glue - I put it on pretty thick, because my first attempt at gluing with a light application failed. Your mileage may vary. :-)

Blob

Back