What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 - Looking for parts - Cross Feed

tclark03

Plastic
Hi Everyone!

I recently picked up a 1969 South Bend CL187RB with a 4 1/2 foot bed that I'm trying to get back into operation. The gentleman I purchased it from was selling it for his father who was cleaning up a hoarder house and found it in a box truck on the property. He didn't know much about it.

It is missing a few parts, some which I've already sourced on eBay, and others that will prove trickier to acquire. He went back to the house after I purchased it to see if there were any parts, but no luck there. Didn't have a chance to look myself. Hoping someone might have what I'm looking for!

What is missing:
- Spindle pulley guard and quill gear guard (already bought on eBay)
- Ram/locking mechanism for Tailstock (bought another complete Tailstock to use for parts since it's missing a few other odds/ins there) No center.
- Everything on the Cross feed is gone. My guess is it was sold for parts. Possibly had a taper attachment and someone needed some cash. Who knows...
- No tooling :(

Mainly what I'm looking for is the whole Cross feed and possibly a taper attachment. (See pictures below)

Through my research so far I'm learning there aren't many/any interchangeable parts between the different size lathes. No surprise there. Wasn't sure though if a taper attachment from a 14" or 16" would work? (seemed to be lumped together on the parts diagram with the 10L is why I ask).

Any help or other info locating cross feed parts will be greatly appreciated. If someone has a complete one available please let me know or a good place to look for one. I think that will be the final piece to the puzzle to get it back running.

Still have to get a single phase motor to swap out for the 3 phase that came on it, and update the power switch to something a little more reliable. Everything else appears to be in decent shape though. Hopefully will turn into a nice useful machine.

Thanks!
Tanner

Will post some photos below.

Trying to get these pictures posted. Mostly of the cross feed so you can see what is missing. I haven't had much experience posting to forums so bear with me. We'll see if this works!

Link to another set of photos if that helps:
Lathe Restoration – Tanner Clark Studios

img_20200503_135218.jpg

100% your lathe was equipped with a taper attachment.

You have two choices.

Buy a complete taper attachment
or
Buy the standard cross slide lead screw, nut, bushing, dial and nut

Erich, that's what I figured. :/ Should have the original bill of sale coming soon from South Bend/Grizzly. Should give the full story there.

Jim, thanks, my guess was probably drugs involved. There's a lot of that in the area I picked it up from. :/ We'll see if we can get it running again! Thanks for the comments!

Got the serial card scan from be South Bend/Grizzly the other day. Wasn't as much info in there as I hoped. Looked like the original card was in rough shape. It did confirm my suspicions and tell me that the lathe had a taper attachment from the factory when it was sold.

Appears finding all the parts to put the cross feed back to it's original condition will be nothing short of a miracle (or many years of hunting). Guessing I'll try to rig up something temporary to be able to use it. Have read a few posts where they talk about using an acme screw and making a nut. Either that or picking up all new lead screws/nuts from the sources producing them. I think the hard part will be the bushing near the dial (and the dial/handle). Hopefully my machinist friend could help me with those. Any tips or suggestions from people who've encountered similar problems would be super helpful. Thanks for your time.

Worst case scenatio, you have to make a custom bushing and by a graduated dial from MSC, and graft together a lead screw from some precision acme rod. You
would not have the gear there so the crossfeed would not work, but it would be accurate. You would need to knock together some kind of nut for the crossfeed
as well of course.

Honestly I hardly ever use crossfeed under power with my 10L, it would be missed but not that much.

jmm03, I did contact Ted. He says he can build a cross feed assembly. Not sure what all that includes just yet. Waiting to hear more. Probably worth it if he can put together all the parts. Then down the road I can put a taper attachment on if I ever find on.

Jim, I'm going to reach out to my machinist friend soon. If I go that route I'm sure he could help me out. I figure once it's working then I can make other parts I need. The only problem I was thinking about is not having all the specs for each part since I don't have an old one to pull measurements off of. That's probably where it would be good to use Ted or have a friend with a 10L near by you could borrow the parts to measure. Thanks for pointing out the power feed gear. Wasn't even thinking about that. Lot to think about with projects like this.

Back