What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 package deal value?

Zip

Aluminum
Tried to contact a couple of members in an attempt to get a value on a South Bend Heavy 10 lathe I have..but didn't hear back. Have seen posts where members really didn't appreciate folks using this forum as a shopping guide, I'm being up front I want to sell the package and only want an approx value so I can possibly do some trading (i.e. HD motorcycle).

Won it at an auction a while ago with intent of replacing my Rockwell 25-100. Only use the Rockwell for automotive fabrication needs and it's 110v single phase. This Heavy 10 is a 3 phase unit, taper attachment (with another in the cabinet), coolant pump, six chucks and a lot of tooling in a separate cabinet. (has been in storage for 12 years)

It is much more than I need and to be honest even know how to use.

Posted some pictures on my forum at:

Practice - Practice - Practice Area

If the link doesn't work go to the Rusty Bowtie forum and look in the "Practice" posting area.

All I really want is a high/low range if at all possible so I can attempt to move it. I think the cabinet with tooling weighs just about as much as the lathe.

Thanks
Ed

Last edited:
I sold my heavey 10 with a lot of stuff like that for $ 2500.00 but it had a taper attachment and a DC motor. This is in S. CA

The tooling is probably worth more than the lathe. The 3ph motor can be a detriment to most home shop machinists, who don't want to get involved with a converter or VFD. The 4.5' bed is perfect for most gunsmith work. I have been looking for just that size South Bend, but have a SB 9A and a SB 13" O to sell first.

The tooling is probably worth more than the lathe. The 3ph motor can be a detriment to most home shop machinists, who don't want to get involved with a converter or VFD. The 4.5' bed is perfect for most gunsmith work. I have been looking for just that size South Bend, but have a SB 9A and a SB 13" O to sell first.

I have a Rockwell 25-100 and just turned down my first AR barrel blank a couple of weeks ago with it. Built a manual loader AR. My plan was to sell the Rockwell and keep the Heavy 10, but now that I have it realized it is a lot more than I need. I don't need -6- chucks and don't know how to use half of the tooling or never would use it.

My Rockwell is good to go for my automotive needs and is wired for 110v. Thought about converting the Heavy 10 then realized some shops are still 3 phase, also thought about painting it but don't want to take it apart.

I could still keep the Heavy 10 and sell the tooling and Rockwell..but figure the Heavy 10 package would be great for a start up shop (or gunsmith).

Whereabouts?
Nice looking late model, hard bed.
Interesting steady rests- neither factory.
Jacobs collet chuck alone is worth 300-400 if in good shape (I've got one and its insanely accurate).

Whereabouts?
Nice looking late model, hard bed.
Interesting steady rests- neither factory.
Jacobs collet chuck alone is worth 300-400 if in good shape (I've got one and its insanely accurate).

I'm on the Canadian border 45 minutes south of Montreal PQ, in Champlain, NY & two miles west of Vermont.

My opinion, Any serious gunsmith or serious home shop person would easily pay $3500 or more for all that. The steady rest and follower rest that I saw in the pictures are in fact genuine South Bend lathe telescoping style tooling. Very nice package assuming the bed is in good shape. Changing to a single phase motor is no big deal but I would go with a rotary phase converter which could be used on any other potential machine purchases that have 3 phase.
MJC

My opinion, Any serious gunsmith or serious home shop person would easily pay $3500 or more for all that. The steady rest and follower rest that I saw in the pictures are in fact genuine South Bend lathe telescoping style tooling. Very nice package assuming the bed is in good shape. Changing to a single phase motor is no big deal but I would go with a rotary phase converter which could be used on any other potential machine purchases that have 3 phase.
MJC

Thanks...one viewer also pointed out that it has metric transposing gears, and also the English/metric dials

Its a very nice package, the tooling and accessories definitely have value. If you were looking to rank a 10L, that would have to be up there on the desirable list. Late production with goodies and 4.5' hard bed is a really nice combo. Honestly if I were you and looking for a lathe upgrade, I'd stick a VFD or a single phase motor on this and sell your other lathe. Just because you don't have need for every bit of what you have today doesn't mean you won't in the future. Or you can sell some of the bits once you determine it isn't needed.

Back