Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Heavy 10 Paint

I am getting ready to put my Heavy 10 together. I just got done pouring a slab for it. (A whole different ordeal). Anyway about how much paint do I need to paint the whole lathe. It is the type in this pic complete with base. Thanksimg_1156.jpgimg_1904.jpg

2. Likes Roger Best liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a quart will do it.

FWIW- its hard to beat Sherwin Williams all surface enamel (oil based)

4. Likes DonTen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by iwananew10K View Post
    a quart will do it.

FWIW- its hard to beat Sherwin Williams all surface enamel (oil based)
    That is the way I was going. But how much do I need to buy? I got this off another post showing a good formula for the paint and I was planing to use it. I just don't want to buy a full gallon if I don't need to.

south-bend-paint.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep a quart should do it.

7. Likes DonTen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I got this. It is gloss instead of low sheen but everything else is the same. I hope it looks good when done? We will see.

img_1906.jpgimg_1909.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its personal preference. I think you'll be happy. That Sherwin-Williams goes on nice.

10. Likes DonTen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I would highly recommend that you take a small part or maybe a gear cover to SW and let them match it first.
    You'll get the color that you are most familiar seeing your lathe in.
    Of course, any color range is possible, however there are really only two "machine gray" colors; one is dark,
    the other is middle gray (not white). You'll see a lot of different colors on peoples lathes due to poor lighting
    and/or lighting source types (fluorescence vs LED vs filament).

I bought a qt of SW high gloss enamel based on an original color on the lathe I'm currently working on.
    I applied it to the apron and ultimately didn't like the greenish color. See first photo...you can clearly see the
    green pigment in the paint. So I just went back to the same old medium gray I've always used. It looks good in
    photos but still looks dark in low-light conditions. I can give you the formula if you like, just let me know.
    (The sample can in the above thread looks greenish to me).

I always apply the SW out of the can with a good brush...try to avoid the cheap china bristles. And I would count on 2 coats minimum,
    with additional coats on the saddle and apron...wherever there is going to be extra wear and junk.
    The only problem I have is getting a good flat application on large expanses like the gear cover without brush strokes.
    Spraying would be much better. I do have a DeVilbliss automotive gun, but too lazy to thin out a mixture just to spray that one piece.
    There are times when the enamel just seems to look "gooey" if that makes any sense. If I had my druthers, I would spray all of the pieces with an automotive spray gun, and several coats...but that's a lot of work.

Also, keep in mind that SW can always darken your paint a little if you need to, but not lighten it. Whatever you choose will look fine,
    tho yellow and/or pink aren't exactly lathe colors to me (just saying).
    A quart will do your whole machine, almost twice over.

PMc

img_1101.jpg img_1102.jpg img_1817.jpg img_0882.jpg

12. Likes DonTen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something tells me you've already got your paint and that this might be a moot point...but that's okay.

I just thought I'd add a photo showing the darker (Evil Empire) gray on my Atlas shaper vs the lighter
    (Rebel Alliance) gray that's on my 9" Model A lathe. (Yes, I'm a bit nuts these days)

The SW formula is shown in a photo too, and should be easy enough for the SW folks to read off your phone
    or you can just print it out.

Is it me or has this SW stuff gotten more expensive?! It's still relatively cheap all things considered and
    for how long it lasts.

PMc

lathe-atlas-1913.jpg machine-gray_1914.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mcload View Post
    I would highly recommend that you take a small part or maybe a gear cover to SW and let them match it first.
    You'll get the color that you are most familiar seeing your lathe in.
    Of course, any color range is possible, however there are really only two "machine gray" colors; one is dark,
    the other is middle gray (not white). You'll see a lot of different colors on peoples lathes due to poor lighting
    and/or lighting source types (fluorescence vs LED vs filament).

I bought a qt of SW high gloss enamel based on an original color on the lathe I'm currently working on.
    I applied it to the apron and ultimately didn't like the greenish color. See first photo...you can clearly see the
    green pigment in the paint. So I just went back to the same old medium gray I've always used. It looks good in
    photos but still looks dark in low-light conditions. I can give you the formula if you like, just let me know.
    (The sample can in the above thread looks greenish to me).

I always apply the SW out of the can with a good brush...try to avoid the cheap china bristles. And I would count on 2 coats minimum,
    with additional coats on the saddle and apron...wherever there is going to be extra wear and junk.
    The only problem I have is getting a good flat application on large expanses like the gear cover without brush strokes.
    Spraying would be much better. I do have a DeVilbliss automotive gun, but too lazy to thin out a mixture just to spray that one piece.
    There are times when the enamel just seems to look "gooey" if that makes any sense. If I had my druthers, I would spray all of the pieces with an automotive spray gun, and several coats...but that's a lot of work.

Also, keep in mind that SW can always darken your paint a little if you need to, but not lighten it. Whatever you choose will look fine,
    tho yellow and/or pink aren't exactly lathe colors to me (just saying).
    A quart will do your whole machine, almost twice over.

PMc

img_1101.jpg img_1102.jpg img_1817.jpg img_0882.jpg

Mine was painted an ugly bright green by someone. The gray I bought looks pretty good and much better that the green that's on it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by mcload View Post
    Is it me or has this SW stuff gotten more expensive?! It's still relatively cheap all things considered and for how long it lasts.
    SW paint has always been expensive. Create a "My S-W" account on their web page and you will get emails with discounts up to 30% off about once or twice a month. With the discount, their paint is comparable to any other paint price.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    SW paint has always been expensive. Create a "My S-W" account on their web page and you will get emails with discounts up to 30% off about once or twice a month. With the discount, their paint is comparable to any other paint price.
    Yea I did that and got 30% off on what I bought. Well I started cleaning it and getting it ready for stripping the old paint. I hate that ugly green.

img_1912.jpgimg_1914.jpgimg_1915.jpgimg_1918.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DonTen View Post
    Yea I did that and got 30% off on what I bought. Well I started cleaning it and getting it ready for stripping the old paint. I hate that ugly green.

img_1912.jpgimg_1914.jpgimg_1915.jpgimg_1918.jpg
    dam that thing looks like the bottom 1/2 of a fat ass old lady

18. Likes DonTen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by DonTen View Post

img_1912.jpg img_1914.jpg img_1915.jpg img_1918.jpg
    yeah, I see what you mean. Yours isn't the first I've seen in that shade either. I probably would have been very attracted to
    the idea of having some of those heavy frames sand blasted.

I have a file of pics of lathes in "as found" condition; these are the green ones (below):
    Disclaimer, I have no idea who these lathes belong to nor do make any judgement as to their condition or color. To each their own.

PMc

green-lathe.jpg greeny.jpg gremlin.jpg hub34ec.jpg willis.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don, you probably already know but it is against the law in florida to paint your lathe gray or green...

21. Likes mcload, DonTen liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Texas
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Don, you probably already know but it is against the law in florida to paint your lathe gray or green...

But in Florida, blue and/or red are okay!
    just saying.

PMc

blue-lathe.jpg red-lathe.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by jmm03 View Post
    Well I am braking the law because it's going to be gray thank god

24. Likes 1yesca liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I got some painting done. I think it looks pretty good. Here is a video of me removing the old paint with a small air die grinder I have. It actually worked better than the 8" sander I had and was much faster. Who would have thought that small grinder would work faster.

https://youtu.be/hx6DonBinnY

img_1922.jpgimg_1924.jpgimg_1926.jpg