Heavy 10 serpentine belt?? - Page 7
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reviving this after 3 years with a question I did not see answered.
    I just bought a cabinet-mount 10L (and a 10K) and both need belts.
    I have used automotive micro-V belts on a couple of non-SB lathes in the past, but I did not skive them. I just pulled the spindle and the countershaft and mounted a correct-length belt. Worked great.

So what is it about the 10L that prevents one from installing an uncut belt?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The headstock of the 10L has a large internal web in the casting -- Just under the spindle cone. Can't get around it.

[I am not happy with my glued serpentine belt, and did not like the 'custom' belt on eB-eh (Seemed too light and slippy). At this point, I'm ready to go back to leather.]

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone ever tried a PowerTwist interlocking belt or similar product on one of these? I just picked up a 10L with no drive belt. After reading this old thread I’ll probably try gluing or lacing a Gates belt but looking at my options. I don’t see anything bigger than 5/8” but maybe 2 x 1/2” ??

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I asked about using an interlocking belt a while back, and was quickly shot down. The reply was that they're made for V pulleys. I think the top of the interlocking belts are flat; maybe they could be used upside down. I have an automotive serpentine belt on my 10L. I had no luck gluing the belt, so I used hog clips. Ugly, but they work. I have a clipper lacer tool now, so I'll try that next time. I'd be interested to hear is anyone tries interlocking belts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

why on earth would you use a link belt on a flat belt 10L????

The link belt will cost nearly as much as a new synthetic flat belt from Al Bino or Baltimore Belting, and won't run worth a damn in comparison.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you don’t have to have a spliced belt.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Indirtwetrust View Post
    So you don’t have to have a spliced belt.
    So you're saying that a hundred splices are better than one?

8. Likes iwananew10K liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a link belt is a spliced belt...one about every inch or so.

perhaps you are unaware of the clipper style flat belts?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was kind of unaware of flat belts in general before I got this lathe. It’s just that it would be nice to get a belt on it to run it and play with it a little bit before tearing it down and rebuilding it. I did look up the clipper lacing, I like that it makes the belt removable. Does anyone sell a rubber belt with lacing ready to go? Do they run smooth with that lacing or does it tick going over the sheaves?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry for the delayed response.

Yes, you can buy one ready to go. Al Bino belts or Baltimore Belting.
    Baltimore was a little better on pricing last I checked...plan on about 60 bucks for one...that might seem expensive at first but it will probably last longer than you do.
    The metal clips do make a little tick, no getting around that, but you get used to it pretty quick...in my case even grow to appreciate it, let me
    know all was well. Depending on the condition of your gear train you may not even hear the tick, it's not loud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried skiving and gluing a Serpentine belt with limited success.
    That means that the join broke eventually. So I bought a new
    serpentine belt. Cut it to the right length, drilled holes in
    the grooves and laced it up with about 40 lb test braided nylon
    fishing line. The grooves go against the pulley surface so the
    line runs up the groove and out through the drilled hole and can
    cross over to the next grove on the outside of the belt.
    Just like leather lacing a flat belt. It's been holding up
    for about 3 years now. So I'm satisfied. And you can always
    remove the belt and relace if you need to for any reason,
    unlike a skived and glued belt.
    Larry S

edit: I used a heavy upholstery needle to run the line through
    the drilled holes int he belt.

13. Likes Caesars0331 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I just did this upgrade on my Heavy 10L. I had some trouble finding a belt until I started searching for "micro rib" belt instead of "serpentine" belt. I bought a 700-K-8,a 70 inch, 8 rib belt, which is about 1.13 wide. I cut the belt 66" and ground 6" lap. If I do it again, I'll cut it a little longer. I purchased some Dr. Bond glue, which is the current incarnation of the glue recommended. I cleaned the mating surfaces thoroughly with acetone and allowed to dry before applying the activator, which smells just like acetone. I applied the glue, which was a very thick gel, and pressed the two surfaces together. It refused to bond. I held it longer, still no bond. Held it even longer, still no bond. The glue just wouldn't set up, it remained liquid. I grabbed a tube of regular old super glue and tried it. Same result. It behaved like when you try to glue polyethylene. It may have been due to air temp, which was in the upper 40's.

I ended up using 6 hog rings, which are like staples on steroids and used for attaching upholstery. I punched them thru the face of the belt in the grooves and parallel to the belt so they are recessed and do not contact the pulleys. It looks funky with the pointed ends of the hog rings looking like bent nails, but it drives very well. I tried a heavy cut (for a Heavy 10) and nearly stalled the motor. No slippage whatsoever!

I paid $19 for the belt here:
    D&D PowerDrive 7K8 Simplicity Manufacturing Replacement Belt, Poly, 8 -Band, 7.75" Length, Rubber: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The manufacturer of the belt is D&D PowerDrive:
    D&D POWER DRIVE BELTS

More belt info here:
    Micro Rib Belts

15. Likes DanMc77 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Massachusetts
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mr Whoppee,
    Thanks for reviving this thread! Very valuable info!
    Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The automotive serpentine belt solves a lot of the flat belt issues on these lathes. I prefer the results I got with lacing the belt instead of trying to glue it. Most of the automotive belts have Kevlar fabric in them and it does not seem to glue very well. The proper lace pattern is shown in HTRAL. If you run the belt with the ribs down (best way) then the laces are hidden in the grooves of the belt and never contact the pulleys. I suppose you could lace with rawhide as specified in HTRAL but I've had very good success with monofilament line. I think I finally settled on something like 40 lb test.

I also found that if I drilled the lace holes in the belt they had a tendency to tear out after a while so I punched the holes instead and they have not torn out after a couple of years use so far.

So far as selecting a belt to use, I went to the local NAPA store and told them I wanted a serpentine that was a bit more than 60" long. Apparently they can look up the belts by length rather than make and model if you wish.

A deluxe solution for attaching the belt ends might be clipper laces but a proper clipper lace clamp is very hard to find now and if you do find one, they're hideously expensive thus the monofilament lacing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Larry S View Post
    I..... So I bought a new
    serpentine belt. Cut it to the right length, drilled holes in
    the grooves and laced it up with about 40 lb test braided nylon
    fishing line. The grooves go against the pulley surface so the
    line runs up the groove and out through the drilled hole and can
    cross over to the next grove on the outside of the belt.
    I did the exact same. Bought a serpentine belt from the auto parts store for $15, and picked up 150 yards of 50lbs braided fishing line for ~$11. I found I had better luck without crossing over and lacing it; each set of opposing holes I drilled in the belt get their own loop, maybe passing the line through each pair of holes 3-4x.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Kentucky
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone used a round baler belt. Was going to use one on a big hendey. Still spliced but is textured if you want it or smooth if you don't. Was going to slice it long ways to proper width

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I recommend just calling Al Bino and ordering a synthetic belt from him. I have on on my SB 13 they don't slip, made for the purpose. He will cut them any width any length.
    Any size flat drive belts by Al Bino Industrial Belting | Machine belts supplier

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Has anyone used Tractor Supply's 2-ply baler belt - $20 for a piece 5' x 4"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: The baler belting..... I tried that route several years ago before the serpentine belt. It was not a happy experiment. It did kinda work but it never ran true and did not grip the way we thought it would. Besides, without the grooves that the serpentines have, if you lace the belt the laces are going to run against the pulleys and there will be quite a bump as the belt goes over them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I tried lacing a serpentine belt and it tore apart within 1 revolution.