Close
Login to Your Account
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I put small metal eyelets in the serpentine and laced ends together with thin stainless lockwire. No glue. Works a treat. The lockwire sits in the belt grooves so nice and quiet.

2. Likes MrWhoopee liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

StrayAlien, could you post a picture or 2 of just how that lacing looks ?

thanks in advance...

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gwelo62 View Post
    I tried lacing a serpentine belt and it tore apart within 1 revolution.
    Were the ends of the belt overlapped or were they simply butted together?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lacing poly v belts works great...I found that a belt that is about 75% as wide as your steps works best..so let the step width of your pulley determine what section belt.

The traditional lacing pattern wants a 6 rib poly v (5 channels)...for a 9" or 10" you want a k section belt...which in a k6 is about .8" wide...perfect.

Dob is right don't drill,you'll tear the fabric and then the lacing will tear out.

All that said its still a PITA but does work like a charm.
    Last edited by iwananew10K; 03-05-2018 at 03:06 AM.

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First of all - public apologies for the sheer utter gargantuan crapiness of the job, but it is what it is. I made a mistake when I did it first which meant I needed a little bit of belt in the middle. Then, without eyelets, the wire tore through the belt. So take #2, with the eyelets (another another small slice of belt), and despite the colossal ugliness of it, it has held up well and is *amazing* compared to the (non-leather) green friction-style belt I had before - it simply eats things that would previously slip. I have had cause to snip and replace the wire (for getting the head off) - no issues - I rewired it up just as ugly.

For a B/S #2 grinder project I am working on I have also used serpentine belts but the tension required is not as great as the SB belt so no eyelets required. Works great.

mvimg_20180305_203044.jpg

For lock wire I use this stuff. Not that I chose it for this - I just had it about. It is "import" here, but made in sunny Ihio for most you you. :-)

mvimg_20180305_205621-2.jpgmvimg_20180305_205614-2.jpg

EDIT: vid showing some SB10 cutting action with serpentine. No way this was possible before:

https://youtu.be/LeXQ511TKzQ

Greg.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Missouri
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by StrayAlien View Post
    First of all - public apologies for the sheer utter gargantuan crapiness of the job, but it is what it is. I made a mistake when I did it first which meant I needed a little bit of belt in the middle. Then, without eyelets, the wire tore through the belt. So take #2, with the eyelets (another another small slice of belt), and despite the colossal ugliness of it, it has held up well and is *amazing* compared to the (non-leather) green friction-style belt I had before - it simply eats things that would previously slip. I have had cause to snip and replace the wire (for getting the head off) - no issues - I rewired it up just as ugly.

For a B/S #2 grinder project I am working on I have also used serpentine belts but the tension required is not as great as the SB belt so no eyelets required. Works great.

mvimg_20180305_203044.jpg

For lock wire I use this stuff. Not that I chose it for this - I just had it about. It is "import" here, but made in sunny Ihio for most you you. :-)

EDIT: vid showing some SB10 cutting action with serpentine. No way this was possible before:

Greg.
    Hello Greg,

I tried sending you a private message but it's telling me that your folder is full.
    Jim

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[/QUOTE]

Greg.[/QUOTE]

Now that is impressive! How many hp?

Country
    AUSTRALIA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jim - sorry! some room now in inbox.

MrWoopee, that is the stock 1hp motor with lathe running in backgear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I ended up just buying the green poly belt from Al Bono with clipper lacing so I can remove it. It works quite good but you do see the holes for the lacing stretch a little under tension. If I get to a point where I don’t think I will be taking the lathe apart again I may get the glue together version and keep the laced one as a spare. I think they are well worth the $60 and I appreciate the advice pointing me in that direction. Thanks.

But to Strayalien, what kind of green belt did you have that is outperformed by the serpentine belt? Has anyone compared the traction of the Al Bino to the SERP belts? If it works that much better maybe I will make one.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    California
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was discussing this upgrade with a good friend. He was highly critical (as he frequently is) of the use of any super glue formulation. He suggested something that should have occurred to me, urethane adhesive.
    McMaster-Carr

When I worked for Fred, we made a certain assembly which required the use of these single use, 2-part urethane packets. While on a backpacking trip, one of the women had the front half of her boot sole come loose. Luckily, I had a few of these packets in my emergency kit. I cleaned everything well with white gas, applied a couple of these packs and taped it up with bandage tape overnight. It not only lasted the rest of the trip, it lasted the life of the boot.

There are lots of urethane adhesives available, including the ones used for gluing in windshields. They are very flexible and strong and will bond to many different materials, including rubber. Another advantage is the working time (5-8 minutes) which allows getting the whole joint glued and aligned. I believe the 2-part adhesives may be better suited, but it may not make any difference.

If I get motivated I will try this, but my "stapled" belt is working well and I have other things to do.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Indirtwetrust View Post
    Has anyone compared the traction of the Al Bino to the SERP belts? If it works that much better maybe I will make one.
    I have used both. The Al Bino belt is high quality, but does not tolerate oil - once it gets oily, it's done - slips off and can't be cleaned well enough to work. I believe Mr. Bino mentions the problem with oil in his ad. OTOH the serp belt seems to be immune to oil contamination. My lathe leaks oil on the belt and the serp seems totally unaffected. In a situation like mine, the serp is far superior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have been taking all the ideas here. I got a used serpentine belt from my Honda mechanic. I wrapped it around the leather belt and cut the ends at 45 degrees. I drilled the belt through the outer grooves and made 'eyelets' by putting epoxy in each hole, and then butted the ends together. I then used a piece of leather belt as a backer and glued it on. I drilled though the leather and then laced it with polypropylene cord. i will attach some pictures when I get home. It runs well and has very little tension compared to the leather belt. The lacing is not as good-looking as on the leather belt but it is functional. Between the epoxy 'eyelets,'the backing belt, the thicker lacing and the low tension, I hope the joint will not tear apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fiberglass packing tape works for a belt. The friction coefficient isn't as high as a rubber belt but its high enough.

Loop the tape around the pulleys sticky side up a couple times then flip the tape over (i suppose cutting it is optional to make this transition but i did) and loop the tape around a couple more times, so you end up with at least 4 layers. this of course was a pain in the ass on my southbend 9 but it doesn't take much effort.

i don't know that i bothered to loop the tape in the correct direction but the fiberglass in the tape makes for zero creep even after a year.

on my lathe the underdrive assembly plus the 3/4th hp motor makes enough weight that the weight alone will just barely stall the motor or slip the belt, the motor driver is 1/2 hp, so i don't lock the counter shaft down, just let it hang on the belt with its own weight.

there has been no creep of the tape's adhesive in the last year or so of infrequent use.

the belt itself looks like crap but it works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

lathebelt.jpg

Here are a few pictures of my serpentine solution. It is on a 9' but would work on anything.

My original leather-belt splice. Drilling the epoxy 'eyelets.'The lacing on top of the backing-belt. The underside. It works fine and uses a lot less tension in the belt which I hope will help the bearings.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Washington
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On My heavy 10" SBL I had a place here in Washington state make the belt for me. gave them a length, they use heavy staple like unit on both ends of the belt,they are a loop with a pin connecting the 2 ends of the belt together. No need for any disassembly. If your interested give me a shout, and I will get the name of the company for you, and send you some pictures of the new extra belt I have. Paul 253-341-6024

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used my lathe today. What a difference. I am taking cuts I only dreamed of with the leather belt and the belt tension is very low. The belt squeals on start-up so I am easing the tension on as I turn on the 1/2hp motor. I'll never go back to a leather belt!