What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Taper Attachment

gregudolph

Plastic
All,
I'm new to the forum and just purchased my first South Bend Lathe. It's a really nice early 1960's era South Bend Heavy 10. I'm missing a couple things that I would love to get for it.
1. Taper attachment, I've been looking online but not sure which of the many taper attachments South Bend made fits the heavy 10. Which one should I look for? Does anyone have one for sale?
2. Collet closer and drawbar. I dont have one, would like to be able to run collets. Is it required to do this?
Thanks for the help. Looking forward to starting the process of making this great lathe work for me.
Greg

Like so - the one made for it since they come in SIZES - requires dedicated cross feed screw

Attachments

• Telescoping TA for SB.jpg
    Telescoping TA for SB.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 156
John is correct, but they also require a different cross feed top casting as well as the screw. I will venture to say that you will not find an original for sale, they are very scarce and were only sold with a machine from the factory. I was told that by SB in 1980 when I ordered my lathe. However, when the lathe arrived, the TA was in another box and I had to install it and that is not a simple task. Collets on a 9 or 10K don't make much sense, as the through hole in the spindle is so small and restricting, but at least they are occasionally available, although pricey.

John - Your attachment is very clear compared to the one I have in my HTRAL book which is the 56th edition. Almost all of the photos in the book I have are hard to read where there is a letter associated with a part on the lathe. Did you get your attachment from a download? I have only been able to find older editions of HTRAL as a PDF document. Thanks for posting.
Taildragger

John - Your attachment is very clear compared to the one I have in my HTRAL book which is the 56th edition. Almost all of the photos in the book I have are hard to read where there is a letter associated with a part on the lathe. Did you get your attachment from a download? I have only been able to find older editions of HTRAL as a PDF document. Thanks for posting.
Taildragger

Wouldn't know about its pedigree. Just a random download from several years back - in two sections. Used to be working links to it, but no more. Easy to email if you would like to private message that address - do put something meaningful in the subject line so I will have a clue of what is wanted:D

John,
Thanks for the info. I have an old South Bend booklet and it shows about 6 different catalog numbers for the taper attachments (probably for different sized lathes). I’m wondering if anyone knows what the catalog number or model fits the 10L. There are many attachments available in different place like eBay but I’d hate to spend money on one that doesn’t fit my lathe. Does anyone know what info I need to identify the one that fits the 10L?
Thanks,
Greg

This taper attachment, allegedly for a SB Heavy 10, is possibly available.

I would have the same question though as the OP; how could he be sure that it will fit his 10L model ? Also, did they change them over the years that the 10L evolved (from single QC tumbler to double, etc.?) That might mean he also needs to match both his exact model and vintage to this accessory.

SB TA.jpg

The last picture is missing the main ways of the taper attachment. Its for the large diameter wheel lathes as well.

Here is what is required for a taper attachment (Form 922-D).

attachment.php

attachment.php

Cast parts will generally have a significant part of the part number cast or stamped in them somewhere on the part. Just match that to the size of your lathe to see if it is the correct part. The unit number for a H10 TA is TA100. The picture in a previous post is missing the TA bed and the swivel bar, both of which are fairly important for proper operation.

Attachments

• 922-D_Page_2.jpg
    922-D_Page_2.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 40
  • 922-D_Page_1.jpg
    922-D_Page_1.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 101
correct me if im wrong....but i think TA100 is just the generic designation that spans all size lathes?? a suffix letter designates the size?

ex- TA100R= heavy 10 taper attachment
???

All of you have been really helpful. Another question: Did South Bend ever produce an instruction manual on installation of a taper attachment?
Thanks,
Greg

All of you have been really helpful. Another question: Did South Bend ever produce an instruction manual on installation of a taper attachment?
Thanks,
Greg

Not to my knowledge. No directions were included when I received mine. It isn't rocket science, but it is exacting. If you find one and want to install it, we can help.

I know that the Heavy 10 with TA came with telescoping cross-feed screw. Can a machine without that feature be used with a TA by unbolting the cross-feed nut as was done with other models?

I know that the Heavy 10 with TA came with telescoping cross-feed screw. Can a machine without that feature be used with a TA by unbolting the cross-feed nut as was done with other models?

Yes. The 10K does not have a telescoping cross feed screw. So, when using the TA the cross feed is disabled and the compound is used for the in feed. It takes some getting used to, but it works OK.

Back