What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 thrust bearing picture and questions

FlyinChip

Aluminum
Here's my setup as it was when I took it apart for a spindle swap. One side has a flat ball bearing for thrust, but going the other way it's just a cast iron thrust washer.

Is this original and correct? Why not a ball bearing on both sides wouldnt that make more sense?

lathe spindle thrust bearings - Copy.jpg

The bearing is on the side that takes the thrust from the tailstock pressure and the cutting forces from the tool when cutting towards the headstock or facing. Make sense? PB

That does make sense, I was just thinking that if I need to cut a part back side, pulling it away from headstock, that other thrust bearing is just cast iron washer against cast iron headstock. I guess thats ok and I guess there's oil there from the bearing. I was kind of wondering if for that reason, anyone added a second ball bearing there.

Also wanted to double check that mine was factory correct.

Any reason why not both sides ball bearings? Was it for cost reason I wonder or some other problem with that?

Fsh offers a graphite rear thrust bearing which is an improvement and I'll most likely get one eventually, but anyone know why not ball bearing?

Why not originally? Cost, washer meets the need. Lathe is over 75 years old and washer isn't dead yet.

Why not now? Because no bearing will fit where the washer does now. Because replacing the washer will get you another 75 years of service and your grandkids will have to deal with it.

think they call the washer a take up washer : as in take play horizonal play in the spindle . spose to snug it up and then back it off a bit . some parts vendors were selling a roller (nettle ) bearing replacement for the 9's a few years ago .my 53 10L original came with a fiber washer as most of them did . I replace mine with a bronze washer ,(bronze has a self lubing quality ;think due to the lead /tin content .

Back