What's new
What's new

Heavy 10 Tooling Questions

taildragger

Plastic
I am new to the forum and recently bought a 10 inch heavy with a 2 hp 220 volt motor. The QCTP that came with the lathe is a cheap Chinese piston style. I am planning on purchasing an Aloris wedge style AXA tool post after reading several threads about the quality of the imports compared to the original. What is the most common size blanks of HSS that people use to grind tools for turning and facing. Any names of suppliers would be greatly appreciated.

The cheap Chinese parting tool that came with the lathe is short and would not work for larger diameters. I think Aloris makes a tool holder that accepts a longer parting tool. Your thoughts.

Is it correct to assume that since it is a smaller lathe that carbide inserts are not a viable option.

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer.

Tom AKA Taildragger

I use mostly 3/8 and 1/2 square chunks of HSS for my tool bits. I keep a few carbide bits around for the occasional hard material. The heavy 10 does not have enough rpm to get the full benefit of carbide.

it is simply not true that you can't take advantage of carbide. Edge geometries have come a LONG way.

it is true that it is not cheap compared to a few quality sticks of HSS, but then again good HSS is getting increasingly hard to find and more expensive while carbide is doing the opposite.

it's almost to the point now where the good HSS should be reserved for form tool and the bulk of turning done with carbide inserts.

I love HSS, it was my go to,but like a lot of guys had a huge stash of the good stuff from when it was almost being given away.

This guy sells proven combos -
SMALL LATHE TOOLING, AXA TOOLPOST, ccmt inserts, ccgt inserts

I'm in the same position. I was gifted a Heavy 10 and a Chinese wedge style QCTP. It's not under power yet (still cleaning), but if the TP proves unacceptable, I'm going to order the Bostar AXA.

BOSTAR AXA Wedge Tool Post for Lathe 6 - 12" Plus 2 Extra XL Oversize ToolHolder | eBay

I've read no bad reviews and many rating it as good as an Aloris.

I've already ordered an assortment of tool holders using the CCMT inserts from Banggood. They were cheap and look good. We'll see...

Nothing against Aloris for commercial applications. It may be overkill for the home shop though and very expensive when compared with Phase II and similar pieces. I have a Phase II wedge post that I bought back when Enco used to have some fantastic sales. Except for the crummy set screws (which are easy to replace), I have had no trouble with it and its ability to repeat tool point positions is pretty amazing.

it is simply not true that you can't take advantage of carbide. Edge geometries have come a LONG way.

it is true that it is not cheap compared to a few quality sticks of HSS, but then again good HSS is getting increasingly hard to find and more expensive while carbide is doing the opposite.

it's almost to the point now where the good HSS should be reserved for form tool and the bulk of turning done with carbide inserts.

I love HSS, it was my go to,but like a lot of guys had a huge stash of the good stuff from when it was almost being given away.

On my SB 10L I use carbide for most turning. Inserts for roughing and brazed for finish. CBN and ceramic for the hard stuff. I have HSS cutoffs and some carbide grooving/cutoff tools that take inserts. This one works well.
KBC Tools & Machinery

Bill

I take the Bostar turning tool holders and cut the top of lower lip down to .275" or so, this allows 5/8" tools to be held.
Then open up the top so the tool area is .760 or so to hold 3/4" tools.

There are quite a few tool holders for CNC's that have been cut down or dinged a bit so they appear on the surplus market.

For hobby use the Chinese QCTP should do just fine as the machine and operator skill set are at a point and usually non production so it matters not since you already have it you do not need to buy it and good excuse for now.

We use primary carbide on everything and it works fine.

SB14.5 with VFD that we can over speed just a bit and a 16 X 54 L&S that has nowhere near the high speeds preferred and both are from late 40 ' s.

The L&S can mow a 3/8 depth of cut in carbide and the SB will slip if we get too aggressive but quality of cuts are fine and with good tool and proper auto feed great finish.

Cost can be a variable as the brazed bits can be found on sale or at other places and inserts require careful selection.

HSS has many advantages as well.

For now use what you have and learn how your machine responds to different setups and tooling.

Also avoid spending money on upgraded QCTP for now as money better spent on other things until you outgrow what you have.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Back