What's new
What's new

Heavy 10: Will a double handle gear box bolt onto a single handle bed?

Frank R

Stainless
Will a double handle gear box and lead screw bolt onto a bed first used by a single handle gear box and lead screw, without modification?

I have a Heavy 10 that I would like to restore and I will be picking up another parts lathe shortly. The only difference seems to be the single vs. double handle. Is it a straight swap? Both have the cast iron pedestal bases.

I don't know about tapping any holes, but you'll have to drill and counterbore (at least) one extra hole for the double tumbler GB.

The screws go thru the bed into the GB, so you shouldn't need to tap any thing.

I believe you will have to change the lead screw as well. You may be able to slide the gearbox far enough it would be okay but I don't think so.

I've done this swap, you need to drill and counterbore a hole in the front bed way. You will also need to shorten and modify the end of the leadscrew. The leadscrew attachment to the gearbox is pretty different.

I've done this swap, you need to drill and counterbore a hole in the front bed way. You will also need to shorten and modify the end of the leadscrew. The leadscrew attachment to the gearbox is pretty different.

I want to transfer the entire gear box and lead screw from a double handle model to a single handle model, including the right hand support. Is this what you did?

No, I used the original single tumbler leadscrew and modified it for use with the double tumbler gearbox. You can certainly swap both, but I will point out that SB bed lengths changed a little bit over the years. I have a 1960 bed that is 5/8" longer than my 1950 bed. So, you might have to adjust the length of the screw a bit to make the swap.

No, I used the original single tumbler leadscrew and modified it for use with the double tumbler gearbox. You can certainly swap both, but I will point out that SB bed lengths changed a little bit over the years. I have a 1960 bed that is 5/8" longer than my 1950 bed. So, you might have to adjust the length of the screw a bit to make the swap.

Do you have a lead screw stretcher?

What I have is a double tumbler with a worn out bed and a single tumbler with a missing lead screw (at least so far). I should probably just buy a single tumbler lead screw and continue looking for a decent bed.

not too hard to add a piece to the end if necessary...its a featureless cylinder.

given the same bed lengths youll have to cut down the double tumbler leadscrew to fit the single tumbler bed.....the gearbox is longer.

or do as you say and get the single tumbler leadscrew.

tail end...much easier...plain turning job.

this is assuming youll be using the double tumbler gearbox with its original leasscrew on the single tumbler bed.

tail end...much easier...plain turning job.

this is assuming youll be using the double tumbler gearbox with its original leasscrew on the single tumbler bed.

Just picked up the second lathe yesterday. That looks like the route I will go.

So I will have to drill one hole and cut off the right end of the lead screw. I can do that. Thanks.

Don't be so quick to cut off the right end of the screw. Just turn it down, so it can fit in the support. Any extension could later have a gear or pulley added to make a variable speed drive.

allan

Back