What's new
What's new

Heavy 10L Taper Attachment/Crossfeed Screw Question

MrWhoopee

Hot Rolled
While attempting to reduce the lost motion in the crossfeed, I noticed movement at the rear thrust bearing. I removed the lock-nuts and pulled off the "bearing" and two washers/spacers. I say bearing, but what I found inside the bearing cover was just a thick washer with a 5/16 id.

Can someone tell me what type of bearing was supposed to be there? I've been looking for ball or needle roller thrust bearings, but have found nothing that will fit (3/8 id x 3/4 od) Oilite bronze thrust washers are available, but I wanted to find out how it was supposed to be. The parts manual is no help other than telling me there should be a bearing and "collar".

Boston Gear 17194 is likely the closest you will find (second one down)
Boston Gear Steel Ball Bearing | MSCDirect.com

I do not know what it originally had, some had ball thrust bearing and some were plain bronze thrust bearings.

Thanks for finding this. I think that the 17195 (3/8 id x 11/16 od) is the correct one. The thread is 5/16, but there is a shoulder behind it. The bore that the bearing goes in is 3/4.

Ah, then yes, that 17195 is the ONLY bearing that will work when replacing original ball thrust bearings,I seem to recall it is about .030" thicker than the SB original so some slight modification may be required.

Also used for the large dial cross feed assemblies on 9",10k, and heavy 10s

I received the Boston Gear #17195 bearing from MSC. With shipping it ran $26! I realized that the washers/spacers I had found on my lathe were actually the hardened thrust washers from the original bearing, the original cage and balls were just gone. The thrust washers from the replacement bearing were thicker and the id smaller. They didn't want to go on the shaft (it may have been slightly galled), but the cage with the balls went on fine. I used the old thrust washers with the new cage/ball assembly, which brought the overall thickness down to the width of the bearing cover. With it all back together, everything is smooth with .007 lash (.014 on the dial). That's a major improvement from the original .140 on the dial. It's nearly within spec. and I didn't have to replace the cross-feed nut. I'm a happy guy!

Back