What's new
What's new

heavy 9/10 single tumbler idler gear face width

iwananew10K

Diamond
27T idler gear that goes on the selector arm...I have 2 samples, one is .275" and the other is .285"

It's not a critical dimension, but want to be able to give Stephen a good average for his parts drawings.

the mating gears on the cone stack are .315" face width so to avoid interference the levers idler gear need to be somewhat less ....I think my .285" sample is a completely unworn one,and allows a nice round .015" clearance on either side so that is my inclination to go with....be good to have a face measure of a few more samples though.

as this is for a data base for parts replication, please chime in with a measure of yours, you might need one someday.:)

More samples is obviously better. What’s the measurement where it’s attached to the arm? Does it have a spacer on either side to hold it centered? My inclination would also be the .285 since it’s already larger than the worn one but you wouldn’t see .01” of wear throughout the face from a gear that isn’t making contact on the entire face. It’s likely just a variation in manufacture. Provided there’s no clearance issue, I would suspect the upper limit is what fits in the arm without overlapping a second gear.

other than a "pseudo" key way it is an otherwise featureless gear....the stud it goes on has a shoulder to set its axial clearance, and there is a round pin in the stud it goes on that engages the "key way"

Back