What's new
What's new

Heavy Ten Bull Gear Plunger Pops Out...

D_C

Plastic
The Drive-Cone/Bull Gear Plunger often pops out/dis-engages (on its own) while the Spindle is turning.

The Spindle then slows to a stop. Then I need to shut down the lathe, release the belt tensioner and re-position/re-engage the Bull Gear Plunger.

I resorted to cleaning the bull-gear surface and applied a piece of aluminum tape over the Plunger to secure said Plunger in place.

From the parts list, there appears to be a “Plunger Spring” that retains the Plunger. Perhaps it is worn out allowing the Plunger to pop out? Trying to figure this out...

NOTE: The photo is someone else’s lathe. My Plunger is NOT chipped/broken like the one in the photo.

D5F31914-60C9-493A-ADC0-60ACF71798CD.jpg

How is this “Fixed”? What does the retainer Spring actually look like? How is it mounted?

Thanks

Remove your spindle and pull everything off down to the bull gear. Clean the little groove the spring engages. Then put everything back. Shouldn’t take much more than 30 minutes. You can also tweak the spring tension a little.

I’ll get a pic for you.9446FAF5-B6B7-47E3-99F9-E1D2F2ED33F7.jpg

84056BFA-DB7C-4606-9B9D-03508E0D691A.jpg

Please search for the proper procedure to remove the spindle. It is easy to screw up the bearing expanders if you don't know they are there.

allan

What has happened to pictures on this site? You used to be able to post decent sized pics, but lately, all you get is crappy 320x240 resolution pics. I guess that the software is automatically resizing them, but why pick the lowest resolution?

Back