What's new
What's new

help with cross feed on 17" Turn-nado

DJC1865

Plastic
Hi all,

I recently took over maintenance/operation of a small machine shop where I work. It's not high production shop. No CNC anything, everything is manual. Some of the equipment has DROs but most do not. For the most part the machines are in really good shape for their age. I would not call myself a seasoned machinist, but I've been a mechanic for most of my life and have a reasonable amount of experience working with metalworking machines.

The lathe I'm having issues with is an older SB 17" Turn-nado. If it has a serial number on it, I haven't been able to find it. There is a number stamped into the steel above the gear shift, but I'm not sure it's the serial number, or something my company stamped in there ages ago for property tracking.

I started working on the machine a week or so ago and at first none of the power feed features worked. I found that both of the power feed shear pins had been broken. After replacing the shear pins the carriage travels fine but the cross feed does not. The cross feed works great when operated manually. The ways are in good shape and everything travels smooth as glass. I took a look at the feed screw and it doesn't have a great deal of wear on it and the nut looks to be in good shape too. When you engage the power for the cross feed it might start moving or it might not, and when it does start, you can stop it by putting a hand on the tool rest. You can hold the wheel and it feels like something is skipping periodically, not like gear teeth skipping, but maybe another shear pin or a broken key way somewhere. The only other thing that seems to be abnormal is that the forward/reverse lever is kinda cantankerous. It usually takes several tries to get it to change directions.

I do have a manual, but it sure leaves a lot to be desired.

Has anyone here encountered this before and what should I be looking for first. How big a can of worms is the apron to take apart?

I can post pics of the lathe in question in the morning because I'm posting this really close to quitting time, the lathe is at work and the cold beer isn't.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Not familiar with that machine, but there’s probably an adjustable clutch in the apron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hi all,

I recently took over maintenance/operation of a small machine shop where I work. It's not high production shop. No CNC anything, everything is manual. Some of the equipment has DROs but most do not. For the most part the machines are in really good shape for their age. I would not call myself a seasoned machinist, but I've been a mechanic for most of my life and have a reasonable amount of experience working with metalworking machines.

The lathe I'm having issues with is an older SB 17" Turn-nado. If it has a serial number on it, I haven't been able to find it. There is a number stamped into the steel above the gear shift, but I'm not sure it's the serial number, or something my company stamped in there ages ago for property tracking.

I started working on the machine a week or so ago and at first none of the power feed features worked. I found that both of the power feed shear pins had been broken. After replacing the shear pins the carriage travels fine but the cross feed does not. The cross feed works great when operated manually. The ways are in good shape and everything travels smooth as glass. I took a look at the feed screw and it doesn't have a great deal of wear on it and the nut looks to be in good shape too. When you engage the power for the cross feed it might start moving or it might not, and when it does start, you can stop it by putting a hand on the tool rest. You can hold the wheel and it feels like something is skipping periodically, not like gear teeth skipping, but maybe another shear pin or a broken key way somewhere. The only other thing that seems to be abnormal is that the forward/reverse lever is kinda cantankerous. It usually takes several tries to get it to change directions.

I do have a manual, but it sure leaves a lot to be desired.

Has anyone here encountered this before and what should I be looking for first. How big a can of worms is the apron to take apart?

I can post pics of the lathe in question in the morning because I'm posting this really close to quitting time, the lathe is at work and the cold beer isn't.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Try this first:
Ted
[email protected]

Attachments

• 63BDD41E-4BBF-4F1B-8DE3-E03FAA87F9EE.jpg
    63BDD41E-4BBF-4F1B-8DE3-E03FAA87F9EE.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 64

Back