What's new
What's new

Help to I.D. 8" x 6ft or 16" x 72"

Trevor Simpkins

Plastic
Hi All, Iam currently trying to Identify my South Bend Lathe, it is marked up as a N.D. Lathe and was supposedly made under licence by Alfred Herbert for Rolls Royce toolroom, unfortunately the past owner is no longer with us to confirm this but I have had it confirmed as a South Bend. The Serial numbers on the bed are SL313 F5712, thes mean nothing to me, Im hoping my basic photos will attach to help with ID, any help gratefully received, Iam in the UK and info is very sparce, many thanks Trev.20180927_122622.jpg20180928_205125.jpg20180927_122620.jpg20180927_122524.jpg20180927_122542.jpg

That is not where SB normally stamped serial numbers. Can you look at the right end of the bed, top front, by the leadscrew hanger screw heads? Any chance there is something there?

Yes after all this time Iam non the wiser, Iam now servicing and cleaning where possible with a view to selling so any info will be appreciated.

more pics will certainly help...particularly in the area kitno mentioned.
which is a couple inches to the left of the numbers in your pic and in the space between the v and flat way...by where the 2 bolts/screws go thru the bed.
i suspect it is simply a South Bend that was assembled/rebuilt in the UK

specifically a model 123C as seen on this documnent..pg 4

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/cat_bl_16c/cat_bl_16c.pdf

Weren't the 123's a "change gear" lathe? The 117's were quick change. OP's lathe has early 2 TPI quick change box on it. But, it might be a custom job for Herbert. PB

more pics will certainly help...particularly in the area kitno mentioned.
which is a couple inches to the left of the numbers in your pic and in the space between the v and flat way...by where the 2 bolts/screws go thru the bed.
i suspect it is simply a South Bend that was assembled/rebuilt in the UK

specifically a model 123C as seen on this documnent..pg 4

http://www.wswells.com/data/catalog/cat_bl_16c/cat_bl_16c.pdf

Unfortunately there are no other numbers on the bed where they should be. This is exactly the model in the catalogue as you suggested, I will try to get more photos over the next few days, many thanks Trev.

RE Help

Thanks for your help up to now its really appreciated, has anyone got any idea of when it was manufactured (roughly) and are there any other numbers anywhere that would help?

Thanks for your help up to now its really appreciated, has anyone got any idea of when it was manufactured (roughly) and are there any other numbers anywhere that would help?

SB serial location. As noted previously above - similar to the '42 catalog - but earlier in detail - like the 2 TPI QC gear box. It would be normal business practice of the licenser to NOT provide the licensee with the latest product info

SB serial location.jpg

Back