What's new
What's new

Help ID a face plate?

Mike DeHart

Aluminum
I have a face plate with one slot for driving a dog. On the back shoulder it has "SOUTH BEND" stamped into the face. The stamping does not look like factory work. It looks more like someone did it with a letter punch set. And a factory likely would not stamp the registration face, either. Problem is that it does not fit my SB10L. The internal thread of the plate is 2-1/4" x6tpi. My spindle is 2-1/4 x8tpi. I have heard that larger SB lathes have a 2-3/8" x6tpi spindle. This is definitely 2-1/4" thread, not 2-3/8" thread. I have measured that thread every way I can think, short of making go/nogo gauges for it. Does anyone know what lathe uses a 2-1/4" x6tpi thread on the spindle?

Mike, I believe another forum member mention the rare 14 1/2" SB lathe used a 2 1/4" x 6 spindle thread. I will check to see if I have a dog plate in my collection to fit your size SB. PM me if you get a chance and we can check on any other needs.
Johnny

You can search for "2 3/8-6" (and variations) on ebay and see what comes up to solve the mystery as to what takes what.

I have owned both lathes; 1973 --13" SB ( 2 1/4" x 8 spindle ); 1973---16" SB ( 2 3/8" x 6 spindle) both are Tech School surplus

Mike, I have -11- different variations of 2 1/4 x 8 Face plates and dog plates here to pick from. Just let me know what sizes you're looking for. Will send you a PM as well
Johnny

I did a little searching back through the SB forum posts. I found that there was an older SB that did use a 2-1/4 x6 tpi spindle. It looks like some other brands used it also. All in all, it seems to be on the obscure side. I took it to Cabin Fever this weekend. The vendors couldn't ID it for me, and it didn't sell in the consignment hall.

Wood2steel, I do have a dog drive plate for my SB10L. This one came in a package deal with a larger slotted face plate for my machine. The other guy didn't know what it fit, either, so he made me take both. Thanks for the offer. I will PM you with the plates I have. Maybe you have a different one I can use?

Back