What's new
What's new

Help Identify and estimate value of this South Bend Lathe

Jtadisch

Plastic
I believe this is a 1928 9" swing and 3'bed 722-Y is catalog number, but I can't find the serial number anywhere...20190803_162038.jpg20190803_162332.jpg20190803_162302.jpg20190808_160408.jpg20190808_160523.jpg

The tooling on the left side of the white bucket isn't part of the lathe. It looks like die punch stuff. The biggest draw back I see (other than it being a rusty lathe that can't make a test cut for the buyer) is that there's no quick-change gear box and no change gears. It really depends on what else is available in your area but you might get $50 to $500 depending on the market.

It could be a good machine, clean it a bit and see.

what hurts any value is lacking the change gears...those are gonna set you back 250-300 bucks.

That's a sad, sad lathe. There is a small, and I mean small, chance that there could be a functioning machine hiding under all that rust but I'd bet against it. As mentioned, the lack of the change gear set makes a difficult problem since you cannot do any threading with it lacking the gear set. It is nice that it has the countershaft assembly but that's about the most positive thing one could say.

You don't indicate your level of experience with these machines but if this is a candidate for your very first lathe, I'd walk away because you would have a very difficult time making anything useful out of it. You can do better!!

As with all these machines, its value is what somebody will be willing to pay for it. There are no set values. The number $50 comes to mind as I look at it.

I thought about that, I might even be interested in the follow...depending on what the OP wants to do.

I am also a little more optimistic,I have seen worse that cleaned up pretty well, maybe try to push off the scale with a utility knife blade held in some vise grips and scrub an area to se what's underneath....if it's not too bad consider setting up an electrolysis tank.

my daughter wants it, she did a pretty good job restoring an old Hobart lathe I have, unfortunately shipping one in that condition would likely be more than it's value.as others have said it depends on your local market, lathes are scarce out here so maybe 250 on a good day with those accessories, lack of extra gears hurts.

Hey, sorry I haven't replied. Some family stuff you know. I have no lathe experience, and honestly was just hoping to save this machine. The house it was in was going to be demoed. I have multiple skills, but using a metal lathe is not one. I worked in a very good car restoration shop/auto body shop for years, and was thinking of restoring it but only if it was worth it. The other problem I run into is the fact my wife and I are moving in October and she doesnt want it going with us. I dont know what it would cost to potentially ship because this thing is ungodly heavy.

Hey, sorry I haven't replied. Some family stuff you know. I have no lathe experience, and honestly was just hoping to save this machine. The house it was in was going to be demoed. I have multiple skills, but using a metal lathe is not one. I worked in a very good car restoration shop/auto body shop for years, and was thinking of restoring it but only if it was worth it. The other problem I run into is the fact my wife and I are moving in October and she doesnt want it going with us. I dont know what it would cost to potentially ship because this thing is ungodly heavy.

I just had a 4.5' bed heavy 10 shipped 1/2 way across the country for $179, so I'd guess $135 or so to ship it most places by freight on a pallet.

Back