What's new
What's new

Help identifying Lathe

Machinist_Son

Plastic
My father was a machinist (tool & die then later taught machine shop). I came across this lathe, it is a 3"x10" and has a South Bend label on it. Based on the size I am wondering if this was some type of promotional model or a salesman model. Any ideas?Lathe.jpg

Last edited:
Check the front of the bed casting. The size is usually cast into the bed casting. Looks like a 13" to me. What is the model number stamped into the QCGB plate?

for sure a model, saw these on eBay some years back...don't think that one is a SB produced model.

It's wrong, top oiler with double tumbler gearbox...thus my comment on not SB produced.

I do stand to be corrected as they certainly made such things and little details would make no difference in intended use and could simply be modifications to older models to keep up with the newer models-

http://www.wswells.com/data/howto/1953_planning_your_shop/1953_planning_your_shop.pdf

The QCGB is paper and I do not see a model number on it. Also I did not find anything in the bed casting. The base is wood.QCGB.jpg

Thank you all for the information and good point on the scale reference. It looks like this is a toy or promotional item. Just looking to see if there is any value or if I should just toss as I do not have an interest in it. Here is a picture with a scale reference for those who wondered.Lathe.jpg

While the OP was clear, the quality of the piece led to confusion

It is rare to see the details to proper scale in something this size, generally things like handles and such end up 'fat' and cartoonish

I think unless these are common, I would think it would be worth something, perhaps quite a bit, to the right person

Back