What's new
What's new

Help identifying my lathe

Thanks, I really am excited about this. I always wanted a South Bend, my other lathe is one of those Harbor Freight 7x16 lathes. I'm glad this has an MT2 taper tailstock, I can keep a lot of my tooling.

Do you know why there are differences between the catalog number on the machine vs. catalog numbers on the SB website?

Do you know why there are differences between the catalog number on the machine vs. catalog numbers on the SB website?

You need to look in the correct catalog. Your lathe is pre-1950 or so. Looking in the SB 1943 catalog, you'll find your 187-AN catalog number (4 foot bed, UMD unit).

More pics. On the serial number (FWM 118747 LQR) I'm not sure if it ends with LQR, or LOR and there's a ding in it. The wais look to be in decent shape, but they are beaten up around the headstock. I have a VFD on order for it. My plan is to get it started and then start cleaning it up and restoring it as I can.

IMG_20190416_152346.jpgIMG_20190416_152353.jpgIMG_20190416_152400.jpgIMG_20190416_152404.jpgIMG_20190416_152435.jpg

OK, I just got a reply back from South Bend, they're a lot faster than I expected. Looks like this is was shipped October '41.

Serial Card.jpg

Appears to be in good shape, for an 80 year old machine.
"beat up around the headstock" ain't unusual from fools banging chucks around, any high spots can be lightly stoned away and accuracy/functionality isn't affected.

How's the bed wear near the headstock, and the bottom of the tailstock?

Bed wear looks good all around to me, but I'm probably not the best judge. I've taken off the tailstock and there's a small bit of surface rust, but otherwise it looks really good.

Ok, my VFD came in today and it runs. I need to figure out how to program it, but there are plenty of resources for that. I'll start a new thread as I get more questions.

I've always wanted a South Bend, and I don't think I could have grabbed a better lathe than this one. As I've taken sections apart, none of the bolts or screws have been hard to turn at all. My plan isn't to to a massive rebuild like Basment Shop Guy on YouTube does, I'd rather keep the lathe working the whole time and do smaller bits that I'm comfortable with until it's all done. Thanks everyone, your replies and all the previous posts are a great help.

-Ed

My heavy 10 is #111419 I do not have the card but about 7000 before yours maybe a year or two early.?? my lathe has some wear but can steal do good work..

That's awesome. I was surprised at how fast the card comes back, it was the next day. I know these lathes were some of the best sellers for it's day, so one year behind sounds about right.

That's awesome. I was surprised at how fast the card comes back, it was the next day. I know these lathes were some of the best sellers for it's day, so one year behind sounds about right.

I question the wisdom of spending $25 on an email reply from Grizzly (that would buy 2 toolholders for my QCTP). I hope that you can read the card better than we can.

What was really interesting to me with it was finding out the date of the lathe, and who originally purchased it. Some of the stats are useful as well, like the spindle bore & length, and motor speed. It's definitely not necessary to have but it's pretty cool.

Back