What's new
What's new

Help identifying these change gears

Brian66

Plastic
Hi all,

I have 13 change gears and 3 idlers (2 of which are compound gears) that I believe are for a South Bend lathe but I'm not sure which model. The gears that are keyed have a 5/8" diameter hole, 3/16" key slot, and are 3/8" thick. See attached pics. Can anyone identify which model these gears belong to?

Thanks,
Brian
IMG_5390[1].jpgSWAB0990[1].jpg

We'd need the tooth pitch, or at least the diameter and tooth count from your largest gear. the 5/8 bore but narrow face width is unusual. Do the larger gears have round lightening holes in them?

allan

With the diameter and tooth count, we can calculate pitch: (92+2)/5.25 =~ 18 DP. So, these are from one of a couple 9" SB lathes probably. The 5/8 bore is confusing to me, however. 9" workshop machines should be 9/16, and the older toolmaker 20 was a hybrid- some changewheels were different sized bores. Are all yours the same size bore?

With the diameter and tooth count, we can calculate pitch: (92+2)/5.25 =~ 18 DP. So, these are from one of a couple 9" SB lathes probably. The 5/8 bore is confusing to me, however. 9" workshop machines should be 9/16, and the older toolmaker 20 was a hybrid- some changewheels were different sized bores. Are all yours the same size bore?

Thanks you for you for helping me solve this little mystery. Yes all the change wheels are 5/8" diameter except one which is 1/2" ID. (see attached pic)

Attachments

• change gears.jpg
    change gears.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 66

Back