What's new
What's new

Help me wire this damn drum switch

WaukeshaMan

Plastic
Default Drum Switch wiring
Restoring a SB 9. I can get the motor to run in forward, but trips the breaker in reverse.I’d be mighty grateful for some help. I have looked through threads on here to no avail. [url]https://i.imgur.com/Qr2l1VG.jpg[/url]
[img] [url]https://i.imgur.com/cjPI3EU.jpg[/url]
[img] [url]https://i.imgur.com/OVq2tIM.jpg[/url]
*photo 3 shows wired for 220. I used diagram and moved the wires for 110.

I appreciate it buddy,but I dont think so.
My motor is an Emerson split phase. 110. My switch is a Furnas R1 -6 terminal/ l-shaped contacts- i have looked at nearly every thread, asked my motor repair man from work... im still stumped. I can get it to run in forward-runs great- I switch it off, let it stop, put in rev and it trips the breaker.

It states on the label: to reverse rotation interchange red and black leads. Or is that just another of lifes cruel jokes? One of those “it says that BUT”....
Yes I ran it BOTH ways before bringing the switch into the fray.

You have a basic schematic, but that is not mapping the switch, which my (possibly defective) brain needs to see. Are there 6 terminals or 9 in that switch, I think it should be 9. Another guy is having the same problem, check out his thread Switch/motor wiring

Posting pics is easy once you figure it out, it will NOT work if using Windoze 10 and google chrome, don't know about other windoze versions, I have to use Firefox on windoze 10.

There are many drum switches.many makes and models...As in my drawing and the wiring diagrams in my initial post(photo links)there are 6 terminals. Im not a complete noob with electricity, but I am missing something here. My electric motor repairman that makes his living at it supplied the wiring diagram that got me this far , but something is off. The motor functions as it should BEFORE the switch ever came into play. Other than seeking communion with it on a metaphysical level , I dont see where I have not provided info on the switch.

Might help if you kept it to 1 thread, I just looked thru all 3 threads, I'm not seeing pics or diagram of your switch.

Edit: First link in this post shows a diagram for an R1 switch, is that what you have? If so follow connections for your motor.

To post a picture you need image tags on both ends. Like this:

at the end. Your post had a tag just at the beginning of the image location. This is what it looks like when both tags are present as above:

OVq2tIM.jpg

I'm certainly no authority on this, I'm still working on my situation. I had a string of messages regarding wiring a switch to my motor. Different than yours tho. Different switch and different motor it appears. Don't get frustrated. Take a deep breath and think through it. If you've managed to connect your motor and run it in both directions without the switch, and you cannot find a pertinent wiring diagram that makes sense, you may need to just logic it out. If you know what power wires need to connect to what motor wires to make it run a certain direction, and you know how the switch functions, try and draw it out and wire it so the switch makes the connections you need.

I hear you buddy. Thanks for the good ideas. I have sat and stared at it and hooked it up many different ways.... ( ok this makes this do this, ok so we got power here, etc.......) I am just missing something. I have hooked it up like the diagram says, like what LOGIC says... im wondering if it requires a jumper.....

just slow down and think logically about what the connections have to accomplish to reverse the motor.
The drum switch is also an on off switch, so power has to inter and exit the switch and according to the motor plate
only the red and black wires need to swap to reverse, so they also would inter and exit the switch.
The L1 and L2 power would enter and exit the switch the same in reverse or forward.
The red and black wires are powered in the switch by L1 and L2 and they swap in forward and reverse.
map out this on paper and compare to the drum switch contact map, if the drum switch can't meet your required map, search for a switch and map that will.

If only reversing the red and black wires those would probably be on the No 3 and 4 terminals of the switch and powered by No 2 and 6.
L1 and L2 remain the same on 1 and 5 when reversing and 3 and 4 reverse.
Make sure you map it out before applying power, and use the drum switch map to make sure the power swaps correctly on the center terminals.
you may have to add a jumper to achieve this. if you could post a photo of the switch map that would help.

Steve

Last edited:
Get back to square one. Make sure the motor runs on 110 volt. Wire direct to the motor, don't wire in the drum switch yet. Then when it runs, double check it reverses with the red and black in the motor switched. When that all checks out lets get back to the drum switch. You are only switching the the Red and Black wires. Run your 110 volt straight into the motor. Now you need 2 black wires coming out from the motor. One is coming off the black terminal and the second is the black wire extended. Do the same for the red connection. Now run those to your switch and hook them up. IMG_0978.jpgIMG_0979.jpg

Back