Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Help with potential 9A purchase

After months of sneaking around on this site, youíve all given me the itch to get a lathe.

A 9A under drive mount showed up for sale pretty local to me that I am seriously considering looking at but had a few questions as this is a new area for me.

First off, can I move this with myself and one other person into the back of my truck? Iíve searched and see that the lathe should be doable with taking a few parts off and moving it separately but I see no mention about the weight of the 3-drawer cabinet that houses the motor. Is it easy to take the motor out and can 2 people lift the cabinet into a truck or will I definitely need a hoist of some sort?

Second... I donít NEED a lathe, but I WANT one. Iím not using this professionally, itís to go into my workshop and use as projects come up from time to time, And because itís cool and I want to play. Having said this, is this particular lathe a good fit? Should I look bigger or different brand? They are asking $1k for it, and seems like it comes with a few chucks, live & dead centers, holders, collets etc. I donít want to overpay for something Iíd use here and there, and I see prices for SB Lathes literally all over the place from $250 to $3k.

Hereís a rough picture I pulled from the ad.

Any thoughts? Just go for it? Walk away?

Thanks!!

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For a thousand bucks, I'd jump at it. Even parted out, you can recoup you investment. As for moving, you should be able to move it by yourself - even easier with two people. I've moved a 10L by myself (wasn't fun, but is doable). I removed the head and the TS, then slid a pair of 2x4s under the unbolted bed, then moved the bed across the 2bys to the bed of my truck. Put the feet on some plywood so that you can easily slide it in the bed. I didn't remove the motor or mount, but two of us were able to muscle it into the bed. Again, use plywood under the feet, so that it too can slide.

So, go buy it before someone else snatches it up.

Country
    CANADA
    State/Province
    British Columbia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yup, if it was near me, it wouldn't be for sale any longer and I'd be standing in my shop scratching my head trying to decide where to put it........ Just sayin', it won't be available for long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Go now!!!!! Buy it, get a receipt....then go rent a low deck trailer....no need to take apart, only weighs about 600 lbs....just take off collet rack and empty the drawers....two strong buddies and you are in there.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I moved by light 10 by myself. Removed headstock, tail stock and bed off cabinet. took motor out of cabinet. moved each piece. bring a friend and it shouldn't be too hard.

Or, if you have a tilt bed, use a comealong and slide it on the bed and take off.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Great thanks for the information! Guess my main concern was lifting the cabinet into the truck, wasn't sure on the weight. Don't have a tilt bed. Will see if it's available.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Don't see the thread dial in photo but they are easy to find.

Lathes are top heavy and they love to tip over just to prove you were not being careful enough.

From here it looks like a good machine for that price.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you have a low-ish trailer (or a very long ramp for a pickup), you can easily move it with three (maybe two) people by sliding it up the ramp. They're fairly stable for a lathe, since the cabinet footprint is large and low. I moved a 10K out of a sunken basement door (about 3-4 feet above floor level), with two long 2x12's (long length) ramps and 2-3 people. Stinking standard pickup trucks are fairly worthless for moving machinery because of the height and flimsy floor. That's a relatively late model, with chrome dials, and great deal for $1000 (put a VFD and .5-.75hp 3-phase motor on it).
    Last edited by car2; 03-28-2019 at 05:07 PM.

9. Likes iwananew10K liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I inherited my 9A HMD from my dad, and moved it my myself 1200 miles. I disassembled the main parts and put them in the trunk of a car I also inherited, except the bed which was in the floor in the back seat area. So the lathe and about 500+ pounds of other tools made for a very "interesting" drive. I had to keep an eye out for the dark areas in the road that meant "dip" because the suspension would bottom out hard. Wish he'd left me a good pickup instead. :-)

Wayne

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by xeddog View Post
    I inherited my 9A HMD from my dad... Wish he'd left me a good pickup instead.
    Don't you mean "also"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you're going to move it by yourself, be very, very careful with moving and loading. If this is your first experience with a South Bend (or any other metal turning lathe for that matter) you can't imagine how top heavy they are and if it tips over you risk serious damage to your new machine. Get some help and try to find somebody who's done it before. If you don't take off the headstock, carriage and tailstock make sure they are locked down so they can't move once you start moving the thing.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Dobermann View Post
    If you're going to move it by yourself, be very, very careful with moving and loading. If this is your first experience with a South Bend (or any other metal turning lathe for that matter) you can't imagine how top heavy they are and if it tips over you risk serious damage to your new machine. Get some help and try to find somebody who's done it before. If you don't take off the headstock, carriage and tailstock make sure they are locked down so they can't move once you start moving the thing.
    In fact, they are so top heavy that I would NOT move it without removing the lathe from the cabinet. The center of gravity of an assembled unit is just under the bed, which puts it about 3 feet off the floor. If you take a corner too fast, you just might look back in your rear-view mirror and see your new acquisition tumbling down the highway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Don't you mean "also"?

No, I mean a pickup instead of that old 1973 Cadillac Coupe DeVille that had seen MUCH better days.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that I would rather have the lathe than a 1973 Cadillac.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

with two long 2x12's (long length) ramps and 2-3 people.

2x12's or so for the ramp....

A brace across the upper door way / a come along / A couple stand-up braces under staircase so it might not fail / A decent rope for tie off to brace for reset of come-along. such makes basement move much safer IMHO.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I ran out there this morning to pick it up, was still available! Ended up taking the lathe off the cabinet and putting that in the truck first, then tilted the cabinet on itís side near the tail gate and we lifted it on. Wasnít quite as bad as I imagined it would be. Here are some pictures, a bunch of extras included as well.

I noticed one of the gears is chipped, but other than that, anything else stand out to you all that I should be aware of? Very new to this, but excited to have one!!

Some extras, any help identifying what I have here??

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nebraska
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A low trailer with a ramp will make the loading and transport much simpler for you. A utility trailer with a rear pivoting ramp is a good choice because it gives you a tie down point
    for the lathe when the ramp is in the upright position.

Loading into a pickup bed will be much harder and require disassembly of the lathe.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pickup was much harder! But I got it! Have a post with pictures but it's pending approval at the moment.

20. Likes clay27bsouthbend, Kevin T liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

good job, you will enjoy it.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

QT Randall: [ but it's pending approval at the moment.}

Tell your wife that Buck said it is OK for you to have a lathe.
    Last edited by michiganbuck; 03-29-2019 at 11:51 PM.