Help with potential 9A purchase - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 32 of 32
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    northeastern Pa, USA
    Posts
    590
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    106
    Likes (Received)
    166

    Default

    For $30-$40 for the day go rent a U-haul motorcycle trailer. Get the one with the long gate on the rear. Moved many machines using these. Can have up to a 2 inch ball on your trailer hitch. Low to the ground and plenty of bars to tie off on.

    Runtime Error

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Nevada
    Posts
    7
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    6

    Default

    Sounds like you've gotten plenty of advice. I'll just add - bought on just like that last summer. We took the lathe off as one unit, and then it was relatively easy to use an engine lift and some nylon straps to pick up the cabinet and put it in the back of my truck. It is heavy, with the motor in it probably weights more than the lathe. Picked the lathe up with the lift and nylon straps also, just be aware that the center of balance is near the headstock.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Skowinski View Post
    Sounds like you've gotten plenty of advice. I'll just add - bought on just like that last summer. We took the lathe off as one unit, and then it was relatively easy to use an engine lift and some nylon straps to pick up the cabinet and put it in the back of my truck. It is heavy, with the motor in it probably weights more than the lathe. Picked the lathe up with the lift and nylon straps also, just be aware that the center of balance is near the headstock.
    When you lift like this, just be sure that your straps do NOT touch the leadscrew. It is a precision part and is easily bent. A bent leadscrew can render your purchase to be in vain. You'll be reduced to parting the rest out, hopefully recovering your investment. Either lift with the straps around the webbing between the ways, or crib out around the leadscrew to protect it.

  4. Likes michiganbuck, Skowinski liked this post
  5. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    OK, not sure why my other post didnít go through, but picked it up. We were careful with the lead screw.

    Here are some pictures, please give me an idea of the condition, it seems pretty good, I do notice a gear is missing a tooth, but canít see any other major damage. A bunch of other items came with it, able to identify any of them?

    Thanks!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1f4572e3-223a-4215-8af5-ae2b71663942.jpg   4aab312a-2116-4d42-88b5-0621a0a0346b.jpg   c6b33956-32a9-4cf7-97b5-7888e994248f.jpg   44e9cddd-1329-490a-bbca-d73f6fd1c613.jpg   1b5781c8-d735-400e-b021-d6d39c4b9d7a.jpg  


  6. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
  7. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    A few more pictures of the items it came with, looks like a ton of reamers. Ended up taking the lathe off the cabinet and moving it in 2 pieces. Canít wait to use it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1e47ef33-a855-48fe-ad97-d5e620d1523b.jpg   07136b91-aae4-4170-93ae-482f9957cb52.jpg  

  8. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
  9. #26
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    moscow,ohio
    Posts
    5,708
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    555
    Likes (Received)
    1806

    Default

    Good deal!

    Might as well replace that cone with the broken gear...those are cheap enough.

    And get this too-

    South Bend Lathe 9" Model A ● Full Rebuild Package ● Manual, Felts, Oil, Grease! | eBay

  10. Likes michiganbuck, Randall4th liked this post
  11. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Before you fire things up, you might want to inspect it thoroughly. Make sure that the felts for the apron are still there - also that the QCGB is getting oil. Check all the GITS oilers and make sure that oil goes thru properly.

    I don't see any reamers in your stash.

    One more thing... your pictures are way too big for me. Could you possibly make them smaller? The smaller, the better. That way, the details fade into more of a blur.

  12. Likes michiganbuck liked this post
  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    New York
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default

    hah. Funny. I made a post with bigger images but I guess as a new member, an admin needs to approve the post before it gets posted, so waiting on that. Small attachments are my only option at the moment.


    Quote Originally Posted by SLK001 View Post
    Before you fire things up, you might want to inspect it thoroughly. Make sure that the felts for the apron are still there - also that the QCGB is getting oil. Check all the GITS oilers and make sure that oil goes thru properly.

    I don't see any reamers in your stash.

    One more thing... your pictures are way too big for me. Could you possibly make them smaller? The smaller, the better. That way, the details fade into more of a blur.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Michigan
    Posts
    9,524
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    3242
    Likes (Received)
    3403

    Default

    On most computers one can zoom in small photos.My Windows-10 I hold the " win-logo / shift /and the + sign " to bring up the magnifying glass...then I zoom to perhaps 250x and make those small photos fill my whole screen

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Florida
    Posts
    278
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by michiganbuck View Post
    On most computers one can zoom in small photos.My Windows-10 I hold the " win-logo / shift /and the + sign " to bring up the magnifying glass...then I zoom to perhaps 250x and make those small photos fill my whole screen
    Yeah, there's nothing like viewing a 320x240 pixel image at 1024x768. The details just pop out at you!

  16. #31
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Maine
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    I think you did real well for 1K.

    I wish my 9 was an under mount motor, they save a ton of space!

    K

  17. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Virginia, USA
    Posts
    3,395
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    85
    Likes (Received)
    605

    Default

    I notice a large gap between the cone pulley and the bull gear. I think something is wrong in that area.

    allan


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •