I'm looking to buy my first lathe
I'm not in a big hurry because my shop is still under construction
But the following SB lathe is up for auction
The seller, a high school, doesn't know much about it
From one of the pictures, and a web search I did, it appears to be a CL-145B
Can anyone confirm this and provide size info- it looks a little short
Any additional info/advice would be appreciated

6206_227_2-1.jpg6206_227_4-1.jpg6206_227_5-3.jpg6206_227_3-1.jpg

Well with a 5 foot bed it is not going to be very long. The SB workshop site says 13" -28" C-C . a little short on C-C but depending on your usage not a show stopper. I have a 12X36 Clausing and rarely need more than 18-20 C-C.

Thank you John

Can anyone out there comment on whether this is a good model or not?

Well how high is up!! Personally not a big fan of SB lathes ,my tastes run toward VS or gear head machines . But I have owned and used several over the years, That lathe has the 2 lever QC box which is a plus. But, condition is everything can you personally inspect the lathe? Any tooling ? ,chucks,steady's etc. with it? SB lathes need careful attention to lubrication for long life. School use leaves that issue open to question as by definition we are dealing with a bunch of noobs using it. Again inspection will be a big help on value. Is it a good first lathe ,yes if in good shape. Nice thing is with SB's is available parts on eBay etc. Don't expect that with any of the imports [Jet-Grizzly etc.] after a few years. Do not be concerned if that lathe is 3 phase as there are several easy ways to solve that. With inspection my value would be in the $1500-2000 range. If you can inspect and see it run a big plus.

Thank you again John
Would you please share what it is you dislike about SB lathes?

Thank you John

Can anyone out there comment on whether this is a good model or not?

Most folks dont really use the model number too often these days. For parts and info you'll mostly use South Bend 13".

By itself, sure its a good model. Has a little weight and stability. But the question will be more: good for who, or good for what type of work.

Its an engine lathe, no taper attachment. Has thread dial. Has 4 jaw chuck on the leg there, and a drive plate on floor of the other side.

It has a crankshaft mounted, so not too short. Probably 1hp motor, with top spindle speed prolly 1000 rpm.

It can be decent. In the auto shop not sure how well it was treated.

What do you plan on doing with your lathe?

South Bend's are really cool but a gear head lathe might best suit your needs.

To be honest, I'm going to learn how to use one
I've always wanted a lathe and may find practical uses along the way but will be happy to simply say I have one and know how to use it

My two biggest issues with SB's are the plain bearing spindles and the flat belt. As I said earlier that style spindle is very dependent on regular correct lubrication. The flat belt tends to limit the power to the spindle which IMHOP is why SB's as a rule had lower powered motors. If you are not not trying to really hog with heavy feeds and depth of cut not a major issue. Another plus is the 13's have a descent size spindle bore if you want/need to do 5-C collet work. Actually right now I'm dickering on a short [3'] bed Heavy 10 to add to my shop.

Last edited:
So worse case scenario you have to replace bearings?
How much do you think the 13 I'm looking at is worth with average wear?

So worse case scenario you have to replace bearings?
How much do you think the 13 I'm looking at is worth with average wear?

My WAG based on 1000's of auctions where I walked away empty handed is that it will bring between 2 and 3K, if you are local you have an advantage over most of the bidders. Did you get to inspect?

You did notice conditions?
"Will need a professional to remove this asset, still in the classroom.

What we mean by professional is that the buyer comes to pick up the equipment with the appropriate manpower, tools, and skills to lift, support and transport heavy large pieces of equipment out of the existing classrooms, down a hallway, and out to a loading area. They then need to have again the appropriate system to load the equipment into their transportation vehicle. We do not want anyone to get hurt. A short answer is we do not want a buyer to show up in a pickup with two kids to move a 2500 lbs piece of equipment. You need to come prepared to lift and transport it out of its classroom location to our school courtyard and then load it into a transportation vehicle. We can make arrangements for you to see the equipment and its location before you actually pick it up."

That may work to your advantage if you have the knowledge, experience, equipment, to move it out, otherwise its another expense.

Well those conditions would make buying this lathe a non starter as getting a pro rigger just to get it outside loaded on your whatever would most likely be $500 -1000. Weight is more like 1200-1400 lbs. Check on rigging costs before going further. Whit what I would expect there $500 -700 is all I would want to pay. Spindle bearings may or may not be replaceable depending on year,and not as simple as replacing a front wheel bearing on a car or MC wheel.

Well those conditions would make buying this lathe a non starter as getting a pro rigger just to get it outside loaded on your whatever would most likely be $500 -1000. Weight is more like 1200-1400 lbs. Check on rigging costs before going further. Whit what I would expect there $500 -700 is all I would want to pay. Spindle bearings may or may not be replaceable depending on year,and not as simple as replacing a front wheel bearing on a car or MC wheel.

Agree on potential rigging costs, and the condition that purchaser moves/loads it may keep the selling price down, but with auctions you just don't know till the gavel drops, and I've walked away empty handed on machines more than I've won them.

OP, don't worry, I'm not interested in it, too far away and I need another lathe like I need another hole in my head.

My WAG based on 1000's of auctions where I walked away empty handed is that it will bring between 2 and 3K, if you are local you have an advantage over most of the bidders. Did you get to inspect?

You did notice conditions?
"Will need a professional to remove this asset, still in the classroom.

What we mean by professional is that the buyer comes to pick up the equipment with the appropriate manpower, tools, and skills to lift, support and transport heavy large pieces of equipment out of the existing classrooms, down a hallway, and out to a loading area. They then need to have again the appropriate system to load the equipment into their transportation vehicle. We do not want anyone to get hurt. A short answer is we do not want a buyer to show up in a pickup with two kids to move a 2500 lbs piece of equipment. You need to come prepared to lift and transport it out of its classroom location to our school courtyard and then load it into a transportation vehicle. We can make arrangements for you to see the equipment and its location before you actually pick it up."

That may work to your advantage if you have the knowledge, experience, equipment, to move it out, otherwise its another expense.

Liked WAG :)
Cannot inspect :(

Fortunately I have the equip to move it
Appreciate the tip about spindle bearings

Agree on potential rigging costs, and the condition that purchaser moves/loads it may keep the selling price down, but with auctions you just don't know till the gavel drops, and I've walked away empty handed on machines more than I've won them.

OP, don't worry, I'm not interested in it, too far away and I need another lathe like I need another hole in my head.

Not worried :)

that'd make a great first (and maybe only) lathe - big enough to do most of what most people want, flat belt = forgiving enough that a new user mistake is unlikely to damage the lathe or user. Given that it's Portland Oregon it's hard to guess possible final price - could be low due to rigging requirements, could be high due to a lack of home shop lathes in the PNW. Just remember the buyers premium (woohoo no tax it's Oregon!), that can add a chunk of change on top of the final price.

that'd make a great first (and maybe only) lathe - big enough to do most of what most people want, flat belt = forgiving enough that a new user mistake is unlikely to damage the lathe or user. Given that it's Portland Oregon it's hard to guess possible final price - could be low due to rigging requirements, could be high due to a lack of home shop lathes in the PNW. Just remember the buyers premium (woohoo no tax it's Oregon!), that can add a chunk of change on top of the final price.

Thanks Matt

Back